Author Topic: I have just been donated an i5.  (Read 653 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
I have just been donated an i5.
« on: December 06, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »
My next door neighbour has just donated an i5 quad core box. Had a quick look and its not a cheap pile of junk. Has Win7 64 home premium installed and it seems to run OK. About the only odd thing is it has a single 8 gig memory module in it so it only runs on a single channel. I have uninstalled as much of the junk as I could find

Name                Intel Core i5 4570
   Codename         Haswell
   Specification      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
   Package (platform ID)  Socket 1150 LGA (0x1)
        Instructions sets  MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3, TSX

It has room for another 3.5 inch disk, the installed disk is a 1tb Seagate that clocks at over 200 meg/second.

Looks like it may be worth adding enough stuff to it to make it useful.

hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: I have just been donated an i5.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
Ratted through my junk and found 2 old DDR3 x 2 gig modules, plonked them in and it now has 12 gig of memory and seems to run a bit faster. I had a couple of left over 1tb WD Blue disks so I put one in and it works OK. It may be useful to me as the Core2 Quad I have set up as my NAS box will only accept 8 gig of memory where the Gigabyte board for this i5 will accept 32 gig. It can be overclocked but I generally see that as an idiot option but it is later and faster than my old quad and importantly supports instructions up to AVX2 as well as the SSE4.2.

I can buy DDR3 8 gig modules for about $50 AUD so if the box looks like it will be useful, it may be worth updating it to 32 gig of memory. It came with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 with 2 gig of memory and it works OK and runs the 21 inch monitor well enough. The can it all comes in is a bit limited with the number of disks that it will fit, 2 are OK but more need 5 1/4 to 3.5 inch adaptors which are a pain to set up.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
nice box,great with 32gig if you have 64bit Cg app
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 12:46:59 AM »
My dev box, a Haswell E/EP has 64 gig of memory. I have to do some benchmark testing on the i5 to see how it stands up to big data as it has 4 cores but no hyper threading. It supports instructions up to AVX2 so it will be an interesting comparison. If it shapes up OK I may buy the extra memory and put some much bigger disks in it.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »
Sad to say, all is not well with this i5. I cleaned it up, shoved a couple of extra disks into it and it looked OK but as soon as I ran an old benchmark, it would crash and Blue Screen part way through the test. The failures looked like overheating so I checked the standard Intel heat sink and it was loose so I removed it, cleaned the surfaces and re-installed it with some high performance compound.

Ran for longer but still failed so I get the idea that the processor may be heat damaged, something I have never seen before.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »
 :biggrin:

Problem solved, the memory I put into it was a mismatch to the single 8 gig module so I pulled them out and no crashes any longer. Just ordered 4 x 8 gig modules which should turn the box into a useful one. I will hunt around for an i7 that fits the 1150 socket.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 08:56:14 AM »
After becoming temporarily poverty stricken with the cost of 32 gig of DDR3 memory, some interesting effects. First the Win7 64 home premium was restricted to 16 gig so it had to go. I installed my retail version of Win7 64 Ultimate which supports up to 192 gig so the 32 gig was fully available. Fed some massive number of Microsoft updates into the box and with the completion of SP1, it can use almost all of the stuff that is available for Win10 64 bit.

What came as a surprise was an old benchmark I did some testing with. With my current dev box, a 3.3 gig i7 Haswell E/EP I was getting about 1300 ms for the test. With the home premium and 8 gig of memory the benchmark ran at about 2200 ms but after fitting the new memory and installing Win7 64 Ultimate I ran the benchmark and it ran between 1000 and 1100 ms. While this i5 only has 4 threads and 4 cores, it would appear that single thread performance is faster than the i7 Haswell.

Coming up is a new can that is a lot easier to configure, a new power supply that I have had for some time and I will steal a couple of bigger HDDs from my old i7 860 and it looks like it will turn into a useful box at last.
hutch at movsd dot com