Author Topic: Linux Mint 19.3 playtime.  (Read 866 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Linux Mint 19.3 playtime.
« on: December 28, 2019, 02:49:57 PM »
While I had a spare box that was no longer being used, an i7-860 that I took all the disks from for the new one I have built, I tried out another installation of Linux Mint on an old 1tb WD Blue disk and it seems to work reasonably well as a consumer computer. Downloaded the Slimjet browser which works OK on Linux, set up the Samba server so I have 2 way access between my Windows computers and the Linux box and everything seems to work OK.

I am not all that familiar with the wide range of Linux software but with the stuff I commonly use that I can get a Linux version for, it has all gone in OK and works properly. If you need to set up a computer for a non technical user, it is an OK option as its free, works OK and does most non technical things well enough. It is supposed to be supported up to 2023 so it will be around for a while.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
Re: Linux Mint 19.3 playtime.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
We always learn something while using a Linux box because those guys never rest.
In the last few days I learned that had no need to pay anymore for SSL certificates. Let's Encrypt is free and widely accepted by all browsers.
With that knowledge and since I had space I installed the ownCloud and am using the opportunity to offer users here the latest MASM tools directly from VS 2019 latest build.
https://cloud.vgpt.com/index.php/s/l5xNdPOyebnDlaO

Disclaimer:
I am not endorsing Linux in any way. I am convinced that Linux is inferior to Windows, however they are frequently the first in bringing up new ideas which are later copied, shamelessly appropriated and passed through face lifting differentiation to bypass the copyright claims.  :badgrin:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:12:14 PM »
once upon a time I went a Linux class,got highest grade,it was to install and setup as apache webserver,I installed everything,this distro was more geeky,with lots of editors and compilers and even a Tomcat servlet

I havent tested IIS so much ,only locally to test website in VS,but so far apache seem great webserver
what do you with webserver say about this?

is it still today linux drivers packed as one general driver supports whole set of gfx cards?

installed at home and got a weird division by zero all the time when trying to boot computer after having both windows and linux partition, I realized somewhere a zero have accidently ended up in partition data

I like Gimp together with wacom to postwork things radically,also tried lynx,its lacked the part to post,but perfect as adfree filter browser as it only capable of text,it doesnt read in any ads

I tested Java code on Linux to see if there was any difference and it ran faster on linux,so if you run same numbercrunching x86/x64 code on linux and windows today,for long period of time you can see which OS takes most % of cpu

I dont know how it is today with viri targeted at Linux,but it wasnt so many made for Linux,because they want to target majority of computer users by make most of them for windows OS

@AW
so do they maybe use some code obfuscation,to hide its the exact same source code?

Hutch I checked linux mint website,so I guess you have "MATE" edition  :biggrin:
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

AW

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:46:08 AM »
Currently I have 2 servers, one running Ubuntu 18.04 and the other running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter.
Since long I always choose Windows, but this time decided to add a Linux box to lodge a huge database of about 220GB. However, the Linux box had a low specification, accesses to the database were too slow and I had to take the database away and place it in the Windows box.
Although not needed anymore for the initial purpose, I am still keeping the Ubuntu box because I can afford the extra @3.99 per month to have some Linux fun.

I havent tested IIS so much
IIS is great and solid. Never had a serious problem with it.

so do they maybe use some code obfuscation,to hide its the exact same source code?
The most difficult part is have the original idea.
Implement the idea in a different way usually does not infringe copyright. I am convinced that in a few parts they will need to reverse engineer to find out.
The same thing happens with AMD using Intel idea or Windows using Apple idea for windows GUI.

Vortex

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:02:12 AM »
Ubuntu and similar versions of Linux are now filled with all the eye-candy stuff. Sometimes, the disregard of the developers and the lack of documentation can be unpleasant. Linux is very good as a server operating system : the Samba file sharing service, the message transfer agent Postfix, the CUPS printing service, the robust IP forwarding system are powerful tools to support Windows networks.

AW, could you try the Red Hat derivative CentOS? It provides a simple GUI but it's a solid operating system. I prefer especially the 6th version as it's more robust than CentOS 7 and 8 ( at least for me. ) The RHEL derivatives Scientific Linux and Oracle Linux are the other options.

AW

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 07:10:08 AM »
Hi Vortex,

An interesting discussing here
Honest question: Why is Ubuntu popular?

I selected this comment:
People love to hate on Ubuntu and it would be naive to think that's it's for beginner, it's a very active distro / community with a lot of available packages from the real world ( enterprise app ). It's pretty much #1 in the server side with RHEL / CentOS, for instance Netflix uses Ubuntu pretty much everywhere on AWS ( and they have thousand of instances )
So it's #1 on the desktop and probably server too. Seriously it's a good distro don't listen to the canonical cirle jerk, plus they have a top notch sec team.

But I already find Ubuntu unpleasant to work with. It took me long hours to install the ownCloud and a few other things. Lots of search through the web to find the reasons for the failures.

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
Hi AW,

Thanks for the link. Some statements from that debate :

Canonical succeed where all the others failed big time, marketing Linux towards regular users without even mentioning the Linux aspect too much while also trying to get us rid of the CLI and manual configs as much as only possible if not wanted.
Die hard Linux elitists may love it or hate it but marketing is necessary to be successful in this world.

It's true that marketing and \ or propaganda can have serious effect. The company did a lot of marketing to promote Ubuntu. Ten years ago Ubuntu had a much more simple user interface. As you said, it's about implementing some ideas : I think the developers of Ubuntu are trying to mimic the GUI of Mac OS. I always vote for simple designs but sadly we are living in the age of overrated marketing campaigns.

AW

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
Hi Vortex,

Ubuntu has various Desktop Environments to choose from, I settled with the Unity because I already knew it from earlier versions. I tried Xfce because is lightweight but disliked a few things, then I tried Gnome and the system became unbootable. Had to use Ctrl Alt F1.
However, I mostly use Terminal, so the DE itself is not very important for me. But I use a couple of GUI tools like Gedit and Nautilus. I don't like much nano, vi or emacs.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
I think what has irked me the most is the built in security that you have to try and untangle to actually configure a computer with most of the modern versions. Long ago you could get hold of a copy of Redhat, dump it onto an old box and get it going reasonably easily then look up how to secure it with a bit of practice. With Linux Mint 19.3 I am starting to find how to configure it so it is predictable but I have had to fight my way through multiple levels of security to do most of it.

The last pest is trying to get TightVNC running on it properly. I have the service running and installed the viewer but when I try to connect to it from any of my Windows machines, it asks for passwords that I did not set. Win 10 was no big deal to get access to a directory which I shared with the Samba server. Windows security always leaked like a sieve but you could configure it to reduce the surface area and install a decent firewall as well as setting up your router correctly and I have not had any problems for many years.

The box is an old i7 860 with 16 gig of memory in it and an old 2 gig Nvidia video card and it always worked OK with Win7 64 bit. You can live with the video performance after using the recommended Nvidia drivers but it feels a bit sluggish in comparison. At least with Slimjet loaded I can get most of what I have needed online.

One thing that has irked me is how every version of Linux I have ever installed is how disk drives are handled. With all versions of Windows I have been able to play "musical chairs" with hard disks building multiple partition machines, moving disks around and from one machine to another, the disk mounting system in Linux is crude and clumsy in comparison.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 10:52:27 PM »
Ubuntu and similar versions of Linux are now filled with all the eye-candy stuff. Sometimes, the disregard of the developers and the lack of documentation can be unpleasant. Linux is very good as a server operating system : the Samba file sharing service, the message transfer agent Postfix, the CUPS printing service, the robust IP forwarding system are powerful tools to support Windows networks.

AW, could you try the Red Hat derivative CentOS? It provides a simple GUI but it's a solid operating system. I prefer especially the 6th version as it's more robust than CentOS 7 and 8 ( at least for me. ) The RHEL derivatives Scientific Linux and Oracle Linux are the other options.
I agree with you on red hat derivative CentOS
what about its possible with knoppix run on startable USB drive?
Quote from Flashdance

Vortex

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 07:51:35 AM »
Hi daydreamer,

Nice idea to run a live distribution on a USB drive. I never tried Knoppix. I would like to hear your comments about this Linux distribution.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 12:13:11 AM »
Hi daydreamer,

Nice idea to run a live distribution on a USB drive. I never tried Knoppix. I would like to hear your comments about this Linux distribution.
havent tested it,seem you can run on USB drive,two versions one CD 700mb version and one Maxi edition 4.7gb
good to not need to mess with dual windows/linux install,partition drive,sometimes it gets messed up
maybe good for users who want to try Linux,without need work on partition/install it

Quote from Flashdance

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 02:48:42 AM »
Hi daydreamer,

ok,installed maxi version,interesting to see all those extra data is all kind of geeky compilers,editors,webserver stuff
I tried on two computers one win8.1 and one win10,doesnt start,probably some BIOS settings,maybe security settings is to have all kinds of boot turned OFF
 :sad:
Quote from Flashdance

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 03:10:25 AM »
I have kept playing with Linux Mint and it is starting to turn into a useful tool for a number of purposes. Once I found more of how the disks work I have loaded 4 extra 1tb disks and currently have the 4 extra disks shared and this means I can use it as a NAS box without the need to have any Microsoft stuff in it at all.

In the opposite direction I can download Windows applications to a shared disk using Slimjet which I have working on Linux Mint and then access it from a Windows box and this is an extra level of protection against crappy web sites that try and install Window software on the host computer.

Being able to build 64 bit computers without any Microsoft content is a target I have been after for some time and with enough accessible components of this Linux distro, setting up the machine is not the disaster of running into a brick wall of required low level Linux experience that it used to be. The console seems to be better as well, while you have to use "sudo" before commands, its not as crude as the old BASH. Humorously enough it looks like someone in their dev team is trying to make Linux into a human usable OS version.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 04:09:10 AM »
Hutch
try out gimp compared to paint,wanna test it because I want to see if knoppix adapts to my wacom tablet
and compare it to earlier use of gimp in windows,used it for lot of hires pics,had to upsize buffer much to make use of installed memory
I agree it feels more secure,less viri targeting Linux

arent there some media software you can test on your videos?think I saw that on linux mint site

Quote from Flashdance