Author Topic: Best laid plans of mice and men .....  (Read 374 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Best laid plans of mice and men .....
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
I bought a half gig Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD drive to put into the new box but after putting it together in its heat sink, plugged it into the PCIe x 4 slot and nothing happened. Seems the board on the new box does not have a late enough chipset to run the NVME drive. The Haswell E/EP box has a board with an X99 chipset and it was already running an Intel NVME SSD so I put the Samsung drive into a spare PCIe x 4 slot and it works OK.

Sad part is the Haswell E/EP box is already fast enough and has about 14 tb storage so its a play toy that will get used but for no real gain. I benchmarked it and its top read speed is about 3.5 gig/sec, writes are only slightly slower, about 3.2 gig which would have been great as the boot drive on my other box.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

TimoVJL

Re: Best laid plans of mice and men .....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:09:57 PM »
Was that PCIe x 4 slot free, not shared with anything else ?
May the source be with you

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
Apparently not, both SSDs are working at full speed. I copied a second partition from the Intel drive to the new one and the speed was very good so it all seems to be working well, about the only complaint is the Samsung drive runs really hot even in the heat sink I mounted it in. About 47 degrees C. My Haswell E/EP runs on a Gigabyte X99-SLI board and it has enough PCIe lanes so it should not be a problem.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 09:40:54 PM »
Apparently not, both SSDs are working at full speed. I copied a second partition from the Intel drive to the new one and the speed was very good so it all seems to be working well, about the only complaint is the Samsung drive runs really hot even in the heat sink I mounted it in. About 47 degrees C. My Haswell E/EP runs on a Gigabyte X99-SLI board and it has enough PCIe lanes so it should not be a problem.
47 degrees C,wonder what the ignite temp is on plastic/cables in computer,so it doesnt start fire
what motherboard do you have that supports two SSD?what does it takes to write 512gb data to SSD must be fast compared to 4tb rotating drive?

Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 10:33:19 PM »
I am a bit spoilt in that with push / pull fan configurations, my hard disks ran at about 30 - 35c, with a big cooler you can keep the processor under 40c but I noticed that the Intel NVME SSD run at about 40C and it has been running for years. It still has about 98% life so it will be around for a while yet. Main wear on it is Microsoft endlessly dumping chye onto it with upgrades.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
I am still waiting for some stuff to arrive to finish off this new box but I had a good score today, a friend of mine just down the road from me had a spare AMD Radeon RX 580 with 8 gig of memory so I plugged it in and it works fine. Gave him $100.00 AU for it. The GTX 610 I had in it before worked OK but the colours were a bit washed out and while you could correct it with software, it was problematic for video. The colour accuracy with the Radeon is a lot better.

The last things I am waiting on are 2 WD Red 4tb drives so I can finally configure the partitions and put the machine into production. The i7 4770k seems to be fast enough, has the identical instruction set to my Haswell E/EP and with its slightly higher clock speed it is just a little faster.

With the new Samsung SSD, after running it for a while the temperature dropped to about 37C which is about the temperature of the normal HDDs in the box so the adaptor/heat sink seems to be working well. I have moved some of my software onto it to improve the loading time and with some software packages the loading speed in very noticeable.
hutch at movsd dot com