Author Topic: Unix server at last.  (Read 390 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Unix server at last.
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:00:30 AM »
I have wanted for a long time to build a Linux file server and with a recently vacated Win7 64 box, an old i7 860 on a Gigabyte board, I had something with enough grunt to make a decent file server. Installed Linux Mint 19.3, stuffed the box with 5 of my old 2 tb WD Green disks plus a 1tb disk for the OS and wasted some hours running around a maze of restrictions and passwords until I got all of the shares working by using root access and it all works. 5 x 2tb bulk storage and another 900 gig on the OS drive if I was desperate. I still have to put a couple of fans in the front of the case but its up and running.

The only thing I had big enough was an old Antec case but it would take 6 3.5 inch disks and I put the boot disk in a removable disk caddie for the 7th which is really convenient if I want to try out something else. Photo shows a normal big black ugly thing, just what I want a file server to be.  :tongue:

hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
Re: Unix server at last.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:37:55 AM »
We can see... Looks scary!    :biggrin:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:59:55 AM »
looks like its black box,recovered from fastflying MASM64 algo that crashed :skrewy:
 :badgrin:

linux is great to use as webserver
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »
With the file server up and going, started to load a range of programs, cpu core temperatures, disk info including temperatures and with enough p*ssing around I have a version of VNC working so I can access the box remotely. Had a play with installing a range of apps that I already know, Slimjet works fine, VLC Media player is OK, I just found a video editor the looks good called "shotcut" and I installed the current version of GIMP to have a play with it as I get the time. Both the default video player and VLC look OK with hi res video

The Mint 19.3 Tricia desktop is also OK to use and can be configured with multiple layouts so it was easy enough to get a familiar appearance and functionality so all in all, this is a Linux distro that is actually useful and in most instances not the usual Linux pig to configure with the exception of the VNC server. The primary purpose for building the Linux box was as a file server and it works fine for this particular task. I spent most of yesterday backing up full partitions from my main Win10 dev box and it is easily accessible if I need anything.

I did the last fiddle with the box by putting a pair of 120mm fans in the front so it is now a full wind tunnel ventilation design and it has a distinct draft coming out of the back of it. Checked the disk temperatures and the 5 WD 2tb disks all run under 30C, the 1th WD Blue runs at about 33C as it is up in a removable disk mount.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:56:20 AM »
Hi Hutch,

Nice Linux server :thumbsup: Samba is very good to support Windows networks.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
Hi Erol,

I got bitten last night, ran the recommended updates, rebooted and they had trashed the Nvidia driver and hours of re-installs could not fix it so eventually I ran a snapshot that was about 2 days old and restored it to a previous working profile. As it all works apart from a reliable VNC, I will avoid any further updates.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 01:02:38 AM »
Hi Hutch,

The Linux VGA drivers are sometimes painful, I know. xrdp is the implementation of the MS remote desktop service but it looks like that there are problems while installing it on Linux :

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=272329

Tested xrp on CentOS 6, it works fine.

Which application did you use to backup the Linux Mint installation?  I use the traditional tar tool to backup Linux system partitions.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 02:08:53 AM »
Linux Mint comes with a utility called "TimeShift". After the update trashed the Nvidia driver I ran timeshift on an image taken the day before and it restored it back to the last working image. Apart from that the only thing I have problems with is the x11 VNC app. If I set it up manually I can access it but it will crash out at random intervals so I don't trust it.
hutch at movsd dot com