Author Topic: Anomalies setting a BIOS  (Read 285 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Anomalies setting a BIOS
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »
One of the things I did with the most recent box was to flash the BIOS with the latest version. Went through the settings, tweaked the normal stuff to fit the hardware which all worked OK but when checking the CPU frequency which for an unlocked i7 was 3.5 gig, most of the settings were not accessible. I tried the only one that worked, the set of preset clock speeds to see if anything changed which it did not.

I thought there may have been a problem in how I first flashed the BIOS so I did it again and when I booted the box, it instantly locked up as it was trying to run at 4.7 gig. After a few tries I got it to run long enough to press the F7 key which set it back to optimised defaults and it would boot successfully again. Reset all of the normal things but when I checked the CPU speed from Windows with CPUZ, it would now run at 3.9 gig under load.

I have not seen such a weird BIOS before but it runs OK and the new box is a bit faster on simple single thread test pieces that the bigger gen 5 Haswell E/EP that I have been using for some years so all is well and it is well on the way to being a useful box.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
Re: Anomalies setting a BIOS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:02:18 PM »
good it was solved,the only anomaly I had,was solved by new battery
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Anomalies setting a BIOS
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 08:17:10 PM »
There was a BIOS update available for my Haswell E/EP so I ran the update, had to reboot it a couple of times then go into the BIOS and reset everything again. For whatever reason it has reverted to the earlier interface so I had to find my way around it again but it was all there so it worked OK.

After rebooting it after changing a few settings it booted into Windows OK so I had a quick play with the Gigabyte software for over clocking it and you could set the auto optimisation so it ran at 3.8 gig but tested a few benchmarks and nothing went any faster so I set it back to the default.

Doing a BIOS update is always a risky task, you have to make sure nothing interrupts it or the machine won't start. Lucky with this board there is an option to write the BIOS code to a USB stick and use a dedicated USB port to run it but it was not necessary as there were no stuff ups using the Windows software.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy: