Author Topic: Fantasy toys for programmers  (Read 780 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Fantasy toys for programmers
« on: January 26, 2020, 10:16:05 AM »
While I have been working on a couple of computers, I have also been looking around at some of the toys that you can get from a glut of socket 2011 XEON processors in China. I have seen matched pairs of 3.2 gig 10 core XEON processors and dual socket motherboards that could be built into a decent workhorse for doing many different types of large scale data crunching.

The price of DDR3 1600 memory has come down a lot but putting 128 gig of memory would still be an expensive endeavour to feed two XEONs and you would only see the advantage if you were running multi-thread software. 10 core - 20 thread x 2 = 40 thread performance which in some instances would be a massive amount of grunt but as single thread code, nothing exciting.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Siekmanski

Re: Fantasy toys for programmers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:49:48 AM »
This is my fantasy toy dream: AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3990X  64 cores 128 threads.
3990 dollar......  :sad:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

JonasS

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
These machines are real furnaces but can be a replacement for central heating in Winter. :)

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:11:09 PM »
This is my fantasy toy dream: AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3990X  64 cores 128 threads.
If you can plug it some pedals, maybe you can run with it on the LeMans circuit  :biggrin:
The logic of the error is hidden among the most unexpected lines of the program

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 01:44:40 AM »
its nice,but you end up in hall of shame making a singlethread asm program using less than 1% of cpu power
I want to go course on SIMT/SIMD utilising parallel execution and I want to be on a team that develops 64bit Bryce that makes use of 128 threads or more and 128gb
because thats bigger to replace all my computers in LAN with ryzen,running a CG app with caps of sharing animation rendering on several computers

Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 01:59:02 AM »
Magnus,

You are out of date, to get some real grunt you need to parallel multiple AVX2 / AVX512 but only to be outpaced by motherboards that take 12 GPU boards for tasks like bitcoin mining. I saw one of these boards for sale recently and not for all that much money.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 03:09:05 AM »
You are out of date, to get some real grunt you need to parallel multiple AVX2 / AVX512 but only to be outpaced by motherboards that take 12 GPU boards for tasks like bitcoin mining. I saw one of these boards for sale recently and not for all that much money.
its also good to have a great gpu installed,newer cg apps have option to utilize gpus for photorealistic rendering that looks better quality than cpu rendering

bryce is one of my favourite program,it has been developed to use few threads in latest 32bit version,threadripper owners are disappointed with why it isnt capable of use full capability of their cpu,the explanation is split 32bit 2gb into too many threads isnt possible,its also problem to fit too many hires textures into 32bit program so migrate to 64bit is the way but if so you have to abandone bryce in favour for other 3d program thats migrated to 64bit already

thats the way I want to go,multiple threads, go 64bit mode to be able to use lots of RAM for each thread,thats what I meant,doesnt rule out l also use latest avx on image processing,I have some SIMD earlier experience to start with
I have only taken a babystep in the direction of use lots of GB memory

its almost free (beside electric bill) to run bryce on a second old multicore computer for hours,while working on newer one, I rather want a course on parallel SIMT,with a good teacher that shows us ideas to use workerthreads for and synchronize threads etc
I have seen you been one of the few to make some 64bit SIMT asm programs,so I welcome suggestions for that kind of exercises,also exercises to make use of lots of memory
one of your threads already inspired me go 128bit random generator
Quote from Flashdance

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 04:28:11 AM »
10 years ago with a i7 860 working for 3 months day and night (but with some interruptions and not always using all cores) I factorized a 156 digit number that is still in 23rd position on the kamada list after all these years.
With a 128 threads ThreadRipper that could be done in 128/8 = 16 times less, that is: Less than 1 week.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 05:31:42 AM »
10 years ago with a i7 860 working for 3 months day and night (but with some interruptions and not always using all cores) I factorized a 156 digit number that is still in 23rd position on the kamada list after all these years.
With a 128 threads ThreadRipper that could be done in 128/8 = 16 times less, that is: Less than 1 week.

thats great work :thumbsup:
so you throw away your previous computer when you get your threadripper+latest pair of gpus?
or let it be turned off collecting dust somewhere?
Quote from Flashdance

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
 :biggrin:

I was much kinder to my i7 860, on and off thrashed the guts out of it then instead of retiring it I made it into my Linux file server.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »
Actually you never know when an old pc can be useful for something.  :azn:
Felipe.

AW

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
I am still keeping my i7 860 and using it as a standby internet server. But never fulfilled its role, except for quick tests, so I am not sure it would work as expected in case of need. But now the VPSs have snapashot backups and I don't need anymore a standby internet server.  I will have to find something to do with this old guy short of putting it again doing factorizations.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 10:25:03 PM »
Actually you never know when an old pc can be useful for something.  :azn:
Its good to have older machine use for lighter cpu loads,web browser,drawing with wacom,use lightweight modeler,write code while newest is busy rendering

Or if you want to play a game that requires highend computer,use the old one browsing thru walkthru when you get stuck in the game

aw,maybe good idea,watched tv about numbers,they interviewed one who had #2 or #3 biggest prime,let his computer work 5years
Quote from Flashdance

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 11:41:23 PM »
The things that hamper old machines is the availability of later hardware. Some older boards mix sata2 and sata3, unless they are recent they do not support NVME drives and depending on the processor, the amount of memory is limited. I have a perfect Intel board 9650 unit that is limited to 8 gig, the i7 860 Gigabyte board will take 16 gig and the recently built 4770k on a Gigabyte board will take 32 gig. My main box, a socket 2011 will take 64 gig.

If you have an older board you can generally run a SATA SSD and you will see improvements if you can plug it into a SATA3 port. As memory has dropped a lot in price, fill the box up with as much memory as it will take and it will leave applications with a lot more memory and you will see the difference. See what the processor is, if its an i3 or i5 of an older socket type, check out eBay to see if you can get an i7 that fits the socket and you will have more grunt for doing so. Make sure you read the board manual to see what processors can be used.

If the box has a crappy power supply, see if you can get a better quality one of 500 watts or higher. I learnt this lesson the hard way years ago when a power supply went BANG (literally) and spiked a perfect and rare Intel board.

Processors have not improved all that much over the last few years so a well set up older board and processor can still perform very well if you do it right.

Graphics cards can be very expensive but if you look around on the second hand market, you can get a reasonably good graphics card for a lot less than new ones. if you are at the bleeding edge of gaming and have a couple of grand to spend, you can hit the big time but often graphics cards that are not far off the pace can be obtained for a lot less and generate very good performance.
hutch at movsd dot com

AW

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 01:00:45 AM »
My I7 860' board is an ASUSTeK P7P55D PRO
It can go up to 16GB RAM but has only 8GB.
CPU speed is 2.8 GHz. No AVX only SSE 4.2.
It has 7 SATA 2.0 slots.
It was a pretty good machine at the time, but can still be useful for a few more years.