Author Topic: Windows upgrade 1909.  (Read 569 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Windows upgrade 1909.
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:36:45 AM »
I had a go at updating windows 10 from the older version I had and it kept crashing near the upload end so I downloaded a thing called "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and started the download from there. It took hours to do the download then even longer to install the upgrade but eventually it finished and seems to work correctly. Had to go through the setting to get it back to the original appearance, turn off the power limits and so on but it does seem to be a bit more efficient and if anything it does seem a bit faster.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Vortex

Re: Windows upgrade 1909.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:29:39 AM »
Hi Hutch,

Did you update the operating system after installing the patch upgrading to build 1909? My test system booting from a virtual hard disk crashed after those updates.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:40:37 AM »
Hi Hutch,

Did you update the operating system after installing the patch upgrading to build 1909? My test system booting from a virtual hard disk crashed after those updates.
I have at least one broken VS project,complaining it cant find dll files,dont know if its update,but maybe they come with win10 buildd1909 sdk afterwards,with let you invoke new features?
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 12:01:22 PM »
Erol,

The standard upgrade from the version I had to 1909 was broken and kept failing so I downloaded the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and ran that and it worked OK. The download was very slow and running the upgrade was even slower but it worked fine and for what its worth, its faster than the earlier version.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:44:15 PM »
I was thinking try to share file on my LAN,so I can compile and develop on one computer and testrun it from shared folder on 4 computers,but I read win10 has disabled that,so was that this update or some other update?
Quote from Flashdance

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
Win 10 file sharing works fine, I have a win10 box, a win7 box and a Linux box that can all talk to each other using file sharing so its not a problem. To synchronously run all of the tests on multiple machines you will need some notification method like HTTP or similar.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:48 PM »
Win 10 file sharing works fine, I have a win10 box, a win7 box and a Linux box that can all talk to each other using file sharing so its not a problem. To synchronously run all of the tests on multiple machines you will need some notification method like HTTP or similar.
also the aviabilty to develop numbercrunching/continuesly filesaving results,so it can be restarted and keep on going numbercrunching/appending,to send latest version to a second computer,to testrun it there without main computer being hogged by it,making its almost useless to use
thats why I have tested different drives for speed,because that will be the bottleneck and also tested NT compressed folder and zipped folder compression ratios
Quote from Flashdance

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »
Old SATA2 is still a lot faster than a 1gb network connection, the bottleneck is the LAN speed you have between computers. If you want some real storage speed, have a look at a Samsung 970 EVO Plus. Read speeds are around 3.5 gig / second, write speeds are about 3.2 gig / sec. With any storage device, speed drops with large numbers of small files.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:19:36 AM »
Hi Hutch,

Thanks for the info : The next time, I can try the Windows 10 Update Assistant if I experience Windows update problems.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 08:19:09 AM »
Old SATA2 is still a lot faster than a 1gb network connection, the bottleneck is the LAN speed you have between computers. If you want some real storage speed, have a look at a Samsung 970 EVO Plus. Read speeds are around 3.5 gig / second, write speeds are about 3.2 gig / sec. With any storage device, speed drops with large numbers of small files.
thanks
Quote from Flashdance