Author Topic: Syntax Highlighting  (Read 2795 times)

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
Syntax Highlighting
« on: February 07, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
As a beginner of 32-bit and 64-bit Assembly language Programming
I'm compelled to ask this question and many thanks for Hutch-- sir for patiently answering to my questions and I don't want to send you PMs anymore. All I can do now is to setting up the environment for
32-bit and 64-bit Assembly language programming. Can anyone around here tell me how to enable MASM syntax Highlighting within
the qeditor shipped with masm32 v11r SDK.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Syntax Highlighting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »
Hi Ravi, welcome to the Forum :thup:

Syntax highlighting is a difficult topic, see this thread. Apparently it's not possible with qEditor. My own baby has a different approach, semi-automatic individual highlighting, but that is clearly a matter of taste. And I guess it is not what you want. Have you tried some other editor? Notepad++ seems to be popular, for example.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
Ravi,

QE does not support syntax hilighting at all, it is a pure ASCII text editor for writing assembler code, not technicolor display. In the absence of such gimmicks, it supports its own scripting, user programmable menus and its own plugin format. It can open and edit large files with ease and it is as it name "quick".
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
Ravi,

QE does not support syntax hilighting at all, it is a pure ASCII text editor for writing assembler code, not technicolor display. In the absence of such gimmicks, it supports its own scripting, user programmable menus and its own plugin format. It can open and edit large files with ease and it is as it name "quick".
Your Qeditor is the best assembly editor ever designed. It's fast and simple like you have said but it is very difficult to understand every option it contains. Time will make me learn slowly and I'll prefer other
editors like notepad++ for syntax highlighting. As of now I'm enough
With the qeditor's no-syntax highlighting options and the editor looks
nice and beautiful with its dark background.

Plz don't remove my account by accident or by anymeans . I'll never
Post bots and spam and other Unnecessary garbage to this forum.
This forum membership is very important for me for a very longtime
From now.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »
Ravi,

Don't worry, you have posts up so you will not get your account deleted. We have to have a few restrictions to beat spammers otherwise we would be flooded with garbage.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
QE does not support syntax hilighting at all

it will not work in QE as it has its own colour control. If you wanted to try Iczelion's technique...

Hutch,

Can you briefly explain what "it has its own colour control" means? If you have access to the richedit control's handle, why would Iczelion's technique not work?

Just curious.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 07:58:55 PM »
 :biggrin:

QE has both text and background colour control, its in the settings.

> why would Iczelion's technique not work?

It does work, I coded a version about 20 years ago, I just don't want it in QE at all.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
I understand and respect your point of view, but if somebody was really eager to have it, would he be able to write a plugin doing that? HSE tried to do that, without success, why is it not possible?

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »
Very funny  JJ !!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

... but if somebody was really eager to have it, would he be able to write a plugin doing that? HSE tried to do that, without success, why is it not possible?

Just yesterday I found you solved the problem a lot of years ago  :thumbsup:

Later: Code and plugin are in http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=8353.0
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:57:03 AM by HSE »

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »

... but if somebody was really eager to have it, would he be able to write a plugin doing that? HSE tried to do that, without success, why is it not possible?

Thank you sir.

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »

Thank you sir.
Anyhow how am I supposed to embed these downloaded files in
masm32 folder so that I can enable syntax highlighting in Qeditor for
all .asm files including .Inc files.

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »
Hi Ravi!
You have to edit "menus.ini" in masm32 directory. The usual way is to put dll in plugins directory.
Anyway QE it's not designed to support advanced Syntax Highlighting.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »

Where did you find that one???

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »
Long ago when I coded a technicolor version of a much earlier version of QE using Iczelion's technique, you had to have large word lookup tables to support the word selection and it killed exactly what I designed QE to do, be FAST. QE will load 100 megabytes reasonable quickly and while it is rare to need to do so, its there if its needed.

From the earliest versions, QE is a no frills, no eye candy programming editor for actually writing code and writing it fast. Become dependent on gimmicks like syntax colouring and auto completion and other related claptrap and you cannot adapt to an ever changing development environment.

There are enough technicolor IDEs floating around and if you need that, go down that path but QE is a pure ASCII editor for writing code, it will never be loaded with gimmicks.
hutch at movsd dot com

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »
Long ago when I coded a technicolor version of a much earlier version of QE using Iczelion's technique, you had to have large word lookup tables to support the word selection and it killed exactly what I designed QE to do, be FAST. QE will load 100 megabytes reasonable quickly and while it is rare to need to do so, its there if its needed.

From the earliest versions, QE is a no frills, no eye candy programming editor for actually writing code and writing it fast. Become dependent on gimmicks like syntax colouring and auto completion and other related claptrap and you cannot adapt to an ever changing development environment.

There are enough technicolor IDEs floating around and if you need that, go down that path but QE is a pure ASCII editor for writing code, it will never be loaded with gimmicks.
I have asked for syntax highlighting in QE only as an option. But default status of QE is nice.