Author Topic: Syntax Highlighting  (Read 2793 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Syntax Highlighting
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »
Coercion by wish list is never going to get anywhere, QE is a tool, not a toy. If you want technicolor, use something else.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 04:39:23 PM »
Coercion by wish list is never going to get anywhere, QE is a tool, not a toy. If you want technicolor, use something else.
I'll use np++ for enough syntax highlighting sir . Default status of QE
is enough for me and it is nice.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »
Ravi I suggest you open and read help files from QE,there is lot of help,about the basic opcodes/mnemonics,but also much macro help,so you easily can do much things without need to code bare metal style
invoke ,string macros,conversion macros,file read/write,memory alloc,.IF,.switch,.while,.repeat
QE also have prostart =like wizard that get you started with a skeleton program fast

Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 08:41:34 PM »
Long ago when I coded a technicolor version of a much earlier version of QE using Iczelion's technique, you had to have large word lookup tables to support the word selection and it killed exactly what I designed QE to do, be FAST.

I have asked for syntax highlighting in QE only as an option. But default status of QE is nice.

Hutch is not a friend of technicolor, and that's ok - it's a matter of taste. But qEditor does have a plugin interface, so if you can convince somebody else to give you a helping hand (HSE made already an attempt some time ago), you could add that functionality to QE. Why not?

Personally, I have enjoyed syntax highlighting for my (many) years with GfaBasic, and I appreciated that. But for me, Assembly is different. You can do all kinds of weird things when touching the bare metal, and if you want to understand later what you did a year ago, you need 1. very detailed comments and 2. individual highlighting. And no Iczelion-style automatic highlighting can do that...

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
Where did you find that one???

QE_with_colours.  A 2012 code that still is in old forum. Of course you only show the idea, it took me hours to develop something from there (mostly because I don't knew nothing of RTF).

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:21:45 PM »
Long ago when I coded a technicolor version of a much earlier version of QE using Iczelion's technique, you had to have large word lookup tables to support the word selection and it killed exactly what I designed QE to do, be FAST.

I have asked for syntax highlighting in QE only as an option. But default status of QE is nice.

Hutch is not a friend of technicolor, and that's ok - it's a matter of taste. But qEditor does have a plugin interface, so if you can convince somebody else to give you a helping hand (HSE made already an attempt some time ago), you could add that functionality to QE. Why not?

Personally, I have enjoyed syntax highlighting for my (many) years with GfaBasic, and I appreciated that. But for me, Assembly is different. You can do all kinds of weird things when touching the bare metal, and if you want to understand later what you did a year ago, you need 1. very detailed comments and 2. individual highlighting. And no Iczelion-style automatic highlighting can do that...

Notepad++ has excellent syntax highlighting support as far as I have seen. QE is fast and simple and that's the way it has to be. Sorry for
Disturbing others about syntax highlighting in QE. But I'm expecting a
64-bit version of masm32 SDK in future.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 10:35:55 PM »
Ravi,

There IS a 64 bit version of the masm32 sdk but it is not a turnkey project as it requires the Microsoft binaries which Microsoft OWN and make available through VS2019. I have already told you that coercion by wish list will never get off the ground but it IS of continued annoyance that you keep harping on. Give it a rest or we will give you a rest.
hutch at movsd dot com

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »
Ravi,

There IS a 64 bit version of the masm32 sdk but it is not a turnkey project as it requires the Microsoft binaries which Microsoft OWN and make available through VS2019. I have already told you that coercion by wish list will never get off the ground but it IS of continued annoyance that you keep harping on. Give it a rest or we will give you a rest.
Ok sir whenever you want .

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 11:38:36 PM »
QE_with_colours.  A 2012 code that still is in old forum.

Yep, found it :bgrin:

However, that one used the character formatting of the RichEdit control. i.e. the same approach as RichMasm. That is fine for my taste, but OP wants something completely different: automatic syntax highlighting à la Iczelion.

In order to achieve that, you need the QE plugin interface, i.e. write a DLL that does the highlighting using the hRichEdit in-process. Quite a different story.

Ravi Kiran

• Computers are fun
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 11:51:42 PM »
Ravi,

Nothing's wrong with QE sir. It's crystal clear.
NP++ is supporting syntax highlighting even for 64-bit instructions
and register set. I'll use it if wanted to. Sorry for disturbing you

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 11:59:53 PM »
This is what Iczelion's technique looks like. Unfortunately I broke the working example about 10 years ago and could not be bothered fixing it but the basics were it used a greater than 1 meg file for all of the words to highlight which made it a lot slower than the non technicolor version. The guts of the code is a nightmare to trace and while it originally worked OK, I just did not like the effect. This is a task for someone who really wants syntax colouring, I could not be bothered as I have many other coding things to do than try and make eye candy.

hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 02:44:55 AM »
1 meg file for all of the words to highlight

Is that file still around? Would be very interesting...

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 03:37:29 AM »
I have scoured every archive on every machine and the only version I have is the broken one. It would not be much use to you as its written in PowerBASIC. The way I did it was with a very fast hash table for the words but the file load time really slowed up the editor's load time. Copied the client area text, fed it through the colour processing and used DrawText() to display the result.

If I ever took on a task like this again, I would use a DLL that contained a tree based finite state machine which would load faster than the text file and would read faster than the hash table. The virtue of Iczelion's technique was that it did not slow up or limit the file size and the load and save text was pure ascii.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 05:30:56 AM »
C'mon Hutch, the times are changing, a 1MB file loads in less than a millisecond now. Just post it... ;-)

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 06:28:26 AM »
Hi Hutch!!

If I ever took on a task like this again, I would use a DLL that contained a tree based finite state machine which would load faster than the text file and would read faster than the hash table.

Sound impressive. What you are talking about?  :biggrin: