Author Topic: Fascinating video on surveillance capitalism  (Read 216 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Fascinating video on surveillance capitalism
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »
Shoshana Zuboff on surveillance capitalism | VPRO Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw

Do you notice that so many web sites want your contact data ?
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Fascinating video on surveillance capitalism
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
Yeah, personalised ads are fascinating. But as long as they present me washing machine ads weeks after I bought one, I am not too worried about the intelligence of these companies :cool:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »
 :biggrin:

I have much the same comment, buy something and for the next few weeks the "ad choices" keeps reminding you about buying what you have already bought. Interesting video though, the subliminal pattern matching is strange stuff. What pisses me off the most is some crapheap site I have bought something from has sold on my email address and I am now getting spam from south America in spanish.
hutch at movsd dot com

Siekmanski

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
The Dutch are blocked to see this documentary???? ( VPRO is a public TV channel, paid by Dutch tax payers )  :rolleyes:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
Marinus, there is a lot of Dutch stuff in this video. Probably some copyright problem. Try WindScribe, it normally works.

Biterider

• ObjAsm32 + ObjAsm64 = ObjAsm
    • ObjAsm
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
Hi
Very interesting video. It scares me how we (ordinary people) are treated like mass-produced goods and how they have created a new industry from this waste data.
It's the way our society is developing and I don't think that can be stopped.

Biterider

daydreamer

• I also want a stargate
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »
:biggrin:

I have much the same comment, buy something and for the next few weeks the "ad choices" keeps reminding you about buying what you have already bought. Interesting video though, the subliminal pattern matching is strange stuff. What pisses me off the most is some crapheap site I have bought something from has sold on my email address and I am now getting spam from south America in spanish.
so we can expect some ads about buy masm32sdk,buy masm64sdk,uasm,poasm etc after been here
@Biterider,this is just like 1984 book,but didnt they had some rebel movement against that in 1984book,he found a spot where he was hidden from survelliance and could do rebellious things?
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:34 PM »
 :thdn:

> so we can expect some ads about buy masm32sdk,buy masm64sdk,uasm,poasm etc after been here

You seem to be talking out of you hat a lot lately.
hutch at movsd dot com

Siekmanski

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
Marinus, there is a lot of Dutch stuff in this video. Probably some copyright problem. Try WindScribe, it normally works.

Thanks Jochen,
I can watch it via VPN but it's strange why it's blocked for the Netherlands, afterall it's a Dutch production paid by Dutch taxpayers.
Maybe to keep us calm....  :thumbsup:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

daydreamer

• I also want a stargate
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:11 PM »
:thdn:

> so we can expect some ads about buy masm32sdk,buy masm64sdk,uasm,poasm etc after been here

You seem to be talking out of you hat a lot lately.
sorry
that happened to me I bought software and got ads on buy that afterwards,so I want to point out its just not physical wares like washing machines,clothes or food
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
I haven't seen the entire video yet. Big data is a very interesting and powerful issue. Whoever manages and knows how to interpret all these data will have immense power. And the truth is that we make it quite easy. For example, to play Xbox you need to be connected to the internet. From there, you no longer know what else will happen, no matter how much you are told that your privacy is covered. The truth is that Microsoft will know how many hours you are playing, what you play, in what aspects you put more interest. You could say they know more about you than yourself. This knowledge, in a massive way, is worth gold, because a company that manufactures games, for example, will be very interested in knowing the trends, what kind of game to make to succeed. In the most basic, but this can be extended to all kinds of knowledge if there is an optimal way to observe our behaviors in certain situations, even in instinctive ways, at the psychological level. Very interesting example of the lady who stopped buying odorous perfume by neutral to deduce that she will get pregnant shortly.

It is a great potential and it is the future. Whoever is left behind in this, will be very disadvantaged.

Good economists say there is no such thing as a free lunch. Free email? There is no such thing.
The logic of the error is hidden among the most unexpected lines of the program

LiaoMi

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 04:36:08 AM »
Shoshana Zuboff on surveillance capitalism | VPRO Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw

Do you notice that so many web sites want your contact data ?

The public needs to protect their data with their own methods, know their rights well and obfuscate personal information. For many years I tried to communicate via Google mail, using encrypted letters, managing keys with programs such as gpg4win, gnupg, Kleopatra https://gnupg.org/download/ , https://www.gpg4win.org/ (Nachrichtenverschl├╝sselung mit TheBat! und Gpg4win (GPG 2.x)  - https://www.batboard.net/index.php/Thread/11926-Nachrichtenverschl%C3%BCsselung-mit-TheBat-und-Gpg4win-GPG-2-x/). But no one ever defended their letters, substituting me, condemning why I do it, and then complaining, I don't like being followed. The only conclusion I could make was that people are nonchalant about their safety, not only to themselves, but also to others. And the providers convince us that all messaging is encrypted on the server, and only we own the keys. But this is not the case; recently, email clients like ProtonMail have become popular (ProtonMail became the world's first email service to protect data with end-to-end encryption, and today is the world's most popular secure email service with millions of users worldwide), having interest, this end-to-end encryption service could be applied on any mail server. For me, information leakage will be absolutely everywhere where I do not encrypt messages.

11 February 2020 - US and German intelligence services secretly gathered the classified communications of governments for decades through secret control of an encryption company, reports say. - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51467536

It should not be forgotten that official crypto algorithms are constantly manipulated, leaving the ability to be decrypted with additional keys. But people do not care, it scares me more .. than the possibility of surveillance.

P.S> She presents the material so charismatically that I even forgot a little about what it was about  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »
I generally see that any encryption system based on key length is already broken before its released to the public so you may as well not waste your time and effort using it and this achieves 2 things for you, it gives your listeners / censors plenty to do without learning much, your laundry lists, what you buy in breakfast food, paying bills etc .... so that you fit the normal profile and they rarely ever bother with data of this type.

If you have some reason to want to irritate your listeners, send a few meg of random data daily to some address so they must spend more time trying to find something useful in it. Now if you really do have some form of commercial secret that you don't want government or corporate interests to steal, use a different method to transfer the data, written on paper and handled by trusted couriers, direct laser line of sight, historical anagrams, what ever is different enough to confuse your listeners.

Using published encryption is like thinking inside the box, its already broken by exactly the type of people you have no reason to trust where using different systems that are not published is thinking outside the box. One example is some of the terrorist organisations that use their own encryption system for their mobile phones and they have proven very hard to decypher. Generally any country's military does much the same thing so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  :badgrin:
hutch at movsd dot com