Author Topic: Rebirthing an old computer.  (Read 374 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Rebirthing an old computer.
« on: February 17, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »
Rebirthing an old (2013) computer for a lot less than a new crapheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmU6_mxlP0U

This computer has no junk in it at all and should last some years
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jack

Re: Rebirthing an old computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 02:53:13 AM »
how does the gammaxx 400 cooler compare with liquid cooling?

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 03:21:10 AM »
Hard to say without side by side testing.  Depends what you put it on and your friend is testing under heavy load. On the 4770k box I have recently built if I process video the processor gets up to about 80C and while it does not start to drop its speed, its hotter than I like. My Haswell E/EP has a radiator and it has been thrashed for about 4 years and it gets to about 70C when processing video using 6 cores and 12 threads.

The testing I have seen best for best says liquid cooling can outperform a high quality heat sink but not by much. If you are gaming on recent high end hardware with the processor heavily over clocked, go for a 3 fan radiator top mounted and multi fan in push configuration at the front.
hutch at movsd dot com

jack

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 04:31:15 AM »
about 15 years ago I was going to build a PC and bought the components but then just couldn't get motivated to assemble the thing, the CPU is a P4 3 ghz socket 478
perhaps it's time to put it together  :rolleyes:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:16:35 AM »
I still own a 3.8 gig Prescott PIV, bought it from Hong Kong brand new for about $150.00 AUD. It still lives because I have a flatbed scanner and digital microscope that depends on having XP. See if you can get 4 gig of memory into it and put a late copy of XP 32 bit into it and it should be a useful 32 bit machine.
hutch at movsd dot com

jack

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 07:29:29 AM »
hutch, you motivated to finish that project, unfortunately for me, the computer case from an old compact computer won't work, so I had shell out $150 USD for a case.
you think Windows 7 32-bit would install in such old hardware?

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
If you have win7 32 bit, I would try it but make sure you have 4 gig of memory and a reasonable hard disk (or 3). I think win7 32 uses more memory than XP and if you have XP it would be a better choice as it has a smaller memory and disk footprint. Sounds like a lot for a case unless its a truly exotic one, I can buy a can here in OZ for less that $100 AUD which would be less than 66 USD.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• I also want a stargate
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
Good investment I made with old AMD xp box,was DVI to Hdmi cable,so i can use hdtv as monitor
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

i Z !

• Customizable digital arts
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 10:11:12 AM »
I've got mine for free. I think it's from 2010.
It has 4GB of RAM and I only had to replace the back fan. I've got a nice fan with bright blue LEDs :)
Then after some years, I've got a 256MB graphic card from another friend and I replaced the old 128MB one with it... 256MB is a minimum for modern Wins I guess.
Now it works (nearly) flawlessly for years with 64bit Win 10 Pro
I bit a bit,
got bites from bytes.
I'll ram'em back in their RAM
and machine-gun the shit out of their f*in machine...

Try out my Automatized ASM Editor for Windows 10 for 30 days. Also visit ace-web.space!

jack

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
OK, now I would like to know whether my P4 is 64-bit or not, on top of the cpu I see 7702B264 and a 64 within a circle, the sticker on the package says: Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott Socket 478 Processor, 3.0 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache
sSpec Number SL8JZ
google fails to give an answer, anyone knows?

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »
Nah, a 3 gig Prescott is a true 32 bit processor, the emt64 is about as useful as a hip pocket in a singlet. I think I own about 5 or 6 of the same version in a plastic box somewhere but the boards were getting hard to get years ago. Either XP SP3 or your Win7 32 is the right choice and if its done right, you will end up with a snappy 32 bit box.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »
There is in fact good value for technical people to build or rebuild older computers as processors have not improved all that much over the last few years and you can often get good performance from an older processor if the older board is OK. Disks are the most unreliable but fortunately they are a lot cheaper than they used to be and if you pick the right type, they are also a lot more reliable.

First you download the manual for the board and check what memory type and size you can use. Then see what processors the board supports and if its an older type, you can usually pick up the fastest it supports for peanuts on the second hand market. Put as much memory in it as you can and a reliable disk (or 3) and you can end up with a reasonable performance PC at low cost if you are careful.

Just as an example, I had an i7 860 which was about 10 years old in a good quality Gigabyte board and some time ago I shouted it 4 x 4 gig memory modules, gave the cooler a good scrub then loaded it will 5 of my XP era hard disks and installed Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia into it as my file server so I could back up partitions on the two computers I have running, a Win10 and Win7 64 box and it cost me nothing apart from doing some work to put it together.

If it still runs and you have a pile of bits hanging around, you can make it useful and store your junk on it.

Most of the computer building videos I see on Youtube are for gamers, multi thousand dollar video cards, severely over clocked processors and cooling solutions that just about require refrigeration to keep working along with some p*sspot sized storage device to hold the OS and some game software but in the real world where not everyone is willing to waste good hardware, computer have a range of practical uses.
hutch at movsd dot com

jack

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 08:09:28 AM »
yes, I agree.
just for fun, I am going to install a 3 1/2" and a 5 1/4" floppy drives :)