Author Topic: Congratulations on Shrovetide  (Read 366 times)

Mikl__

Congratulations on Shrovetide
« on: March 01, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
I congratulate on the end of winter and on Shrovetide!

you don’t understand this, in Australia, NZ, Argentina and Chile  you have end of summer...
in Russian "Shrovetide" (butter day) is "Maslenitsa", it is a carnival and meeting of spring and the beginning of Lent before Easter.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
Re: Congratulations on Shrovetide
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
I congratulate on the end of winter and on Shrovetide!

you don’t understand this, in Australia, NZ, Argentina and Chile  you have end of summer...
in Russian "Shrovetide" (butter day) is "Maslenitsa", it is a carnival and meeting of spring and the beginning of Lent before Easter.
congratulate on Shrovetide you too,we also have similar celebration here last day of April with fire and song about welcome spring
so 1st May unions march because tradition,while funloving people have hungover
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

Vortex

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:30:21 PM »
Hi Mikl,

I think Shrovetide is similar to to Newroz celebrated in Middle East to welcome the spring.

Mikl__

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
Hi, Vortex!
Nowruz (Persian: نوروز‎) is analog Easter, Shrovetide celebrated in Russia 7 weeks before Easter, Maslenitsa is analog Carne Vale ( =goodbye meat!). Every year Maslenitsa is celebrated on different dates from midle February to midle March, it depends on the date of Easter (from April 4 to May 8). Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter on the first Sunday after the first spring full moon following the vernal equinox. The vernal equinox always falls on March 21. And the date of the full moon depends on the phase of the moon, which is why the holiday is rolling.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:55:03 AM by Mikl__ »