News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

MASM output is not displayed

Started by filxy, October 23, 2012, 05:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filxy

I wrote a file in cmd as .asm and it is linking but when i write the file name in c:/masm> first.asm like this it displays the the whole code in visual studio and it does not print a output i am using windows 7 32 bit

dedndave

welcome to the forum   :t

ummm - could we see the code ?   :biggrin:

you would probably get more out of writing 32-bit code

Gunther

Hi filxy,

welcome to the forum.

As Dave wrote: please post your code and we'll see what happens.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

nidud

deleted

dedndave

ASM files may or may not be associated with VC
but, EXE files aren't likely to be   :P

nidud

deleted

MichaelTripi68

I am a newbie but I didn't know you can run .ASM code files directly in CMD as the file is just source code.  My understanding is that you need to assemble your code with an assembler such as MASM, MASM32, TASM, NASM, or FASM.  Once your code file is assembled you can run it by typing just the base name (i.e. no extension).  Based on your memory model it may be a .COM (tiny model only) or a .EXE (all other models).

As far as it loading in VC is most likely due to the extension (.asm) being associated with that application.  Of course, when it loads in VC it will just display the file because it is just a source code file.  Source code files are not directly executable.  They must be transformed in an executable format.

Any of you code gurus out there correct me if I'm wrong with what I said here...