Main Menu

Computer Virus

Started by Magnum, April 16, 2020, 11:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

It's been years since I used Windows.

The last time I was using XP.

Now I am using Ubuntu Mate 18.04.

Are viruses still an issue on Windows platforms ?

Thanks,
             Andy
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

hutch--

Its usually more sophisticated than old binary viruses which have more or less been wiped out by any of the better AV scanners. Differing from Unix servers that get thousands of hack attempts a day from other Unix servers, Windows OS desktop versions are well supported by a massive amount of available software for anyone who knows what they are doing.

From someone who runs a Unix server and also has a local file server running Linux Mint 19.3, beware of what you expect from any Linux distribution, the support is lousy, versions get abandoned with no upgrade path and the updates are risky and unreliable. I ran an updated on Mint 19.3 which trashed the Nvidia driver and I had to use a wind back to restore it to working condition.

Be careful of what you wish for.

Magnum

Quote from: hutch-- on April 16, 2020, 11:45:30 AM
Its usually more sophisticated than old binary viruses which have more or less been wiped out by any of the better AV scanners. Differing from Unix servers that get thousands of hack attempts a day from other Unix servers, Windows OS desktop versions are well supported by a massive amount of available software for anyone who knows what they are doing.

From someone who runs a Unix server and also has a local file server running Linux Mint 19.3, beware of what you expect from any Linux distribution, the support is lousy, versions get abandoned with no upgrade path and the updates are risky and unreliable. I ran an updated on Mint 19.3 which trashed the Nvidia driver and I had to use a wind back to restore it to working condition.

Be careful of what you wish for.

I have to respectfully disagree with you concerning Ubuntu.

There is tons of support.

I have never had a virus.

That can not be said when I was running Windows.

Have a great day. :-)

Andy
Take care,
                   Andy

hutch--

You forget, your version of Linux is already old. What happens when it gets abandoned, how do you transfer your current data to a later version. In Windows this was simple, in Linux it is a nightmare.

Magnum

Well Hutch, my version is the newest.

I have learned much from you over the years.

I feel that we can agree to disagree.

I am honestly happy that you are happy with Windows.

Andy

I am very happy that the over 30 years of Severe neck pain has ended.

I am so very happy.

Take care,
                   Andy

hutch--

> I am very happy that the over 30 years of Severe neck pain has ended.

Glad you had a win there.

> I am honestly happy that you are happy with Windows

Now that is truly nonsense, I use it and know it but happy with it ? Nah.  :tongue: