News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

A recent Windows 10 build punishes you for your sloppy coding

Started by jj2007, April 10, 2020, 12:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

If unknown text length is the problem, scan the source and get either its length or character count then dynamically allocate at least that much memory. Either HeapAlloc() or GlobalAlloc() will do the job, I don't see what the big deal is about.

jj2007

jj2007

Unrelated, but I didn't want to open a new thread: have you ever compared the built-in original Micros**t image viewer to a Gdi+ viewer? This is Win7-64, I hope they've improved on Win10 :cool:

JoeBr

Can't open the zip - after updating 7-Zip to the most recent version.  What app did you use to create it?

Joe

jj2007

Joe, that's just a png renamed to zip. If you want to test the viewer, unzip the attached exe to a folder containing images.
The menus don't do anything. To zoom the image, click once into the caption, then use the mousewheel.

It's work in progress, the source is far too confused to be shown :tongue:

jj2007

I wanted to test some stuff on Win 10, so I launched my wife's notebook, which is about 4 years old (I stick to Windows 7).
Micros**t... what are your intentions? I had wondered why my wife prefers her smartphone, now I understand: Win10 is utterly slow. Unusable. Updating all the time, but even when there is a slot without updating, it is just annoyingly slow, as if you tried to swim in a pool of honey. Do I have to switch off the bloody AV?[/rant]

One interesting observation: WM_MOUSEWHEEL works differently!

Attached is my current image viewer (work in progress but it works just fine):
On Win7-64, point the mouse into an image and turn the wheel. Zoom!
On Win10, no zoom at all. It took me quite a while to find out what's happening: on Win10, the message arrives only if the mouse is outside the child window, e.g. in the window caption.

Shall we call that a bug, or is it a new feature, Redmond?

Apparently few people noticed this; here is one:
QuoteIt seems they made "scroll whatever the mouse cursor is over" the standard behaviour in Windows 10. Which is kind of annoying in most cases, actually. – Nyerguds Aug 12 '15 at 17:49

Another one: Broken WM_MOUSEWHEEL's mouse cursor position in Windows 10

The Chromium developers had this problem too: Seems we aren't getting WM_MOUSEWHEEL events but are getting events with message 0x0250 in its place.

hutch--

I know of a guy who lives in the country well away from fast internet access who had a very ordinary laptop with Win10 on it and the endless updates exceed his bandwidth allowance and has rendered his laptop useless. On big machines with high speed internet access in city areas, Win10 64 bit works fine (If you spend long enough setting it up) but for limited bandwidth on an older laptop, its a disaster.

Have a look at Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia, much smaller footprint, no auto updates and if you are not writing Windows software, you can get some massive amount of software that can do a massive number of things for gratis.

I did a test run on an Intel board over 10 years old with 4 gig of memory and a 2.4 gig Core2 Quad and it ran really well.

Vortex

Hi Jochen,

Could you get a solid state disk and transfer the operating system to this one? Solid disk improves a lot the performance.