Author Topic: How to live, work and engage in a favorite hobby after work - Work life balance  (Read 406 times)

LiaoMi

Hi,

after daily work, I come home and I have no desire to program due to fatigue. At work I program databases, i.e. hard work with computer. I would like to keep my interest in home programming. Maybe our members have any tips?

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
 :biggrin:

Apart from spending time being human, do something different from your work on a computer with graphics, gaming, crude data crunch, whatever is different from what you do at work. My own distraction is shooting video but then I have to process it so you only ever partially escape.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

FORTRANS

Hi,

Set yourself an arbitrary goal or project.  Graphics,
sorting, and extended precision arithmetic are some
I tried.  Get a copy of Knuth's "The Art of Computer
of Computer Programming" and try to recreate one
of his code analysis projects.

I just completed (abandoned?) a program to solve
a specific Solitaire Mahjong puzzle I could not find the
solution to.  I wrote the logic to identify valid moves
to remove a pair of tiles from the board.  Then the
routine to update the board.  All the debug routines
to print out the intermediate results.  And a random
choice from the available choices.  Then the logic to
restart the program to try another random sequence
when the program failed to find a solution.  The program
was never finished as it generated a solution good
enough to solve the puzzle in question.  I did fix the
obvious errors that "solution" showed.  Then I ran
some runs to see how efficient the random choice
method was in getting far enough to run into the
unimplemented routines.  Voila, a whole wasted week
or some such.

Cheers,

Steve N.

LiaoMi

:biggrin:

Apart from spending time being human, do something different from your work on a computer with graphics, gaming, crude data crunch, whatever is different from what you do at work. My own distraction is shooting video but then I have to process it so you only ever partially escape.  :tongue:

Hi hutch,

I also have a large part connected one way or another with the computer, it’s a great idea to find something alternative. I play tennis, but where I live now, it costs a lot of money .. reading books in the park, but I read a lot at work, the last option that remains is archery. Music lessons, but when I'm tired, it's hard for me to come up with a melody, or I can optionally play something already written by other musicians :eusa_boohoo:

LiaoMi

Hi,

Set yourself an arbitrary goal or project.  Graphics,
sorting, and extended precision arithmetic are some
I tried.  Get a copy of Knuth's "The Art of Computer

I just completed (abandoned?) a program to solve
a specific Solitaire Mahjong puzzle I could not find the
solution to.  I wrote the logic to identify valid moves
to remove a pair of tiles from the board.  Then the
routine to update the board.  All the debug routines
to print out the intermediate results.  And a random
choice from the available choices.  Then the logic to
restart the program to try another random sequence
when the program failed to find a solution.  The program
was never finished as it generated a solution good
enough to solve the puzzle in question.  I did fix the
obvious errors that "solution" showed.  Then I ran
some runs to see how efficient the random choice
method was in getting far enough to run into the
unimplemented routines.  Voila, a whole wasted week
or some such.

Cheers,

Steve N.

Hi Steve,

I have such projects, even with written goals. I can sit on my favorite projects for days, but if it comes to work, where tasks are often routine, then unusual fatigue occurs. I agree that graphical programming in some way improves the mood, probably everything depends on the creativity of the person and on the channel of perception, it is necessary to switch to another channel of perception - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception, in other words, do things where you don’t need to think  :biggrin:

Get a copy of Knuth's "The Art of Computer
I already did this, and then switched to puzzles, this is a classic of the genre  :thumbsup:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
I do other things too like 3dmodel,make manga and I dont worry because I have notice its up and down with desire/productivity to make things and when I dont have desire to make anything,I see the good side of only being hobbyist and not a proffesional that makes art,who needs to find a way to produce any time to put food on the table

and sometimes its lots of inspiration with ideas to make things
I think there is some songwriter that came up with great song texts while jogging

when I was in school,they had "retreat"(just eat good food and be silent whole weekend) for university students,who really needed the relaxation of brain who they used lots of hours beyond jobtime
maybe some kind of relaxation will restore you from fatigue

fortrans,I want to see that game
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

felipe

• Eagles are just great!
Maybe you should start to interest in other topics. As some examples can be maths, physics, etc. Then after you have some knowledge about other topic/topics (different from computers) you can start as a home project (mostly as a hobby to not be fatigued and stressed) some program related with that new learned topic. This way you forget about computers for a while and then you reconnect to computers using a different approach.  :icon_idea:
Felipe.

Biterider

• ObjAsm Developer
    • ObjAsm
Hi LiaoMi
I have a similar situation here. I come home and have to rest a little. After that comes dinner and there is not much left of the day for other things.
Fortunately, there are some interesting areas in the programming scene that I can also use at work. IoT is one of them. The company I work for uses Arduinos to do various things from instrumentation to process control.
The communication between the distributed arduinos (LAN / WLAN) and a PC that acts as data collector is an interesting task. There is a lot of architecture behind the scenes. I am currently doing the PC-Software with MASM.

Biterider

FORTRANS

Hi,

fortrans,I want to see that game

Really?  Okay.  Attached is a cropped splash screen of
the game, a cropped screen capture of the specific puzzle,
a picture showing the hidden tiles, and a text file with the
statistics of eight runs of the program to gauge efficiency.

Enjoy?,

Steve

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
I think its a ratio between input and output. People who create code, whether at work or projects are outputting work and if that does not have some reverse input, the result is brain fatigue. Somewhere along the line the brain needs input that you enjoy and it can be many things, alternative hobbies, music, sport, other activities and the list goes on and on. By having a different range of inputs, your brain refreshes and you can output more again but you really do need both.

For me its many things, I like making things and have tons of tools and some small machinery, a tiny lathe, a drill press, bench grinders set up to do useful things. I have tended to make accessories for video, mainly mounts and handles. I restore antique tools as a side hobby. When I can get outside and travel locally when its warm enough, I enjoy shooting video and do my own post processing on a computer which is a different part of the brain from writing code.

Be original, try something different, if you are a bachelor, find a blonde and you will surely go back to writing code very quickly.  :tongue:

I have one other pursuit, with all of the images of Mars from NASA, repairing the images and animating them is one of the things I do when I am close to brain dead. Here is one of the recent ones. Watch at 1080 if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i21yXO44qys
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
I have one other pursuit, with all of the images of Mars from NASA, repairing the images and animating them is one of the things I do when I am close to brain dead. Here is one of the recent ones. Watch at 1080 if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i21yXO44qys
that looks great Hutch :thumbsup:
already as a kid I liked space,one thing I thought would be cool to have a game flying thru Mars Canyon when I first got in contact with computers at my school,so I made a short animation with 3dlandscape program few years ago
@FORTRANS cool to have road signs instead of the usual  :thumbsup:
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die
*wears a flameproof asbestos suit*
Gone serverside programming p:  :D
I love assembly,because its legal to write
princess:lea eax,luke
:)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Nice images, Hutch :thumbsup:

Yesterday I discovered this tour inside the ISS, and found it very interesting.

Btw with Slimjet I can see the ISS video but not yours. Since some weeks or months, certain types of videos remain black in Slimjet and WhatsApp. Firefox plays them fine. No idea what's wrong here, but it sucks.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
Its likely to be some form of geofencing and it may depend on how the browser handles it. I occasionally run into it with Slimjet but it plays most things OK.
hutch at movsd dot com

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
Btw with Slimjet ... but not yours.
No problem with landscape here, but I can't see Mars's people with this Slimjet! (perhaps Hutch removed that  :biggrin:)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Its likely to be some form of geofencing

Don't think so, many "local" videos don't work. It seems a codec issue, but why does SlimJet use other codecs than Firefox?

Videos play fine with my own IGraphBuilder.RenderFile-based viewer. SlimJet and WhatsApp use something different, it seems.