News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

are those macros can be done in other better asm ?

Started by whatsup, July 26, 2020, 04:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsup

Vortex

Hi whatsup,

Welcome to the Masm Forum. Could you provide more details about your question?

whatsup

thank you
i'm talkin about masmbasic macros
i found them very interseting.
i would like to create like them
(for example Dim,Let macros)
in other asmeblers that i think better and also have much better licence

mainly HLA, and flatasm

i know nothing and understand nothing in macro assembler

i know to program in C,pascal,Basic,Asm (but with no macro knowledge)

so i will be thankfull if some one could show example source code
of the aboove macros in those assemblers.

thanks in advanced.

jj2007

HLA has been clinically dead for a decade or so, and FASM/NASM are relatively poor on the macro side. For example, they cannot perform a simple Print Str$(ecx)

If the MASM license is a problem for you, use UAsm or AsmC. They are perfect MASM clones, much faster than MASM, up to date, and there are no license restrictions.

whatsup

thank you very much for replying.
from what i read uasm is watcom based, which means restricted more than GNU and doesn't even consider open source.
asmc is not GNU ?

EDIT: i just checked what i wrote and every thing is correct.

so i reallly need this help about hla.
i have hla3 which meant to be very fast and much enhaced than every other assembler include masm and clones.
so if some one can help with sample source code of a macro (in hla3)
like Dim, Let i'd be thankfull.
thanks in advanced.

jj2007

Quote from: whatsup on July 29, 2020, 04:23:32 PM
from what i read uasm is watcom based, which means restricted more than GNU and doesn't even consider open source.
https://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical - scroll down to Sybase Open Watcom Public License 1.0 (Watcom-1.0)

Re HLA, you need to contact the author, Randall Hyde. He has a profile at LinkedIn.

hutch--

whatsup,

If you want GNU licenced software for assembler programming, use the GNU AS assembler (GAS). Its a good tool but very low level. If you want a macro assembler and cannot comply with Microsoft's licence, try UASM or ASMC to get a decent pre-processor. FASM is an excellent assembler but also very low level and while it has some macro capacity, it is no competitor of MASM's pre-processor or the MASM clones.

Vortex

Hi whatsup,

Poasm,JWasm and SolAsm are some of the additional choices.

whatsup

Quote from: hutch--
If you want GNU licenced software for assembler programming

exactly opposite. i said clearly that the ONLY reason i don't want uasm although it is very good assembler,
is because its licence is watcom based which is much worst than GNU.

jj2007

Can you explain how the UAsm license would affect your project?

Vortex

Hi whatsup,

You should give a chance to Asmc and Uasm. Having an idea about the capabilities of those tools would not hurt your programming practice.

hutch--

:biggrin:
exactly opposite. i said clearly that the ONLY reason i don't want uasm although it is very good assembler,
That does not leave you with much, you could try NASM but it has a licence, FASM has a licence, UASM and ASMC have a licence so you are left with GAS which is in fact a very good assembler. Forget MASM, its owned by Microsoft and it has a licence too.

whatsup

Quote from: hutch-- on August 05, 2020, 01:45:33 AM
:biggrin:
That does not leave you with much, you could try NASM but it has a licence, FASM has a licence.
stupid licence compare

hutch--

Smartarse wisecracks will get you a chance to find what you  hope you will find elsewhere.

whatsup

Quote from: jj2007 on August 02, 2020, 06:39:00 AM
Can you explain how the UAsm license would affect your project?

i have no project

really need to explain ?
read the GNU licence
more ever read about watcom/jwasm licence

for example you cannot use them as a dll unless you open all your sources.
that's with GNU

with uasm the problem is much more big.
if i'm not mistaken you can NOT use it at all except  for personal use (becuase its jwasm based)