Author Topic: Linux Mint 20 up and running.  (Read 914 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Linux Mint 20 up and running.
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:28:11 AM »
I scraped together all of my leftovers and built a small box (15 year old case) with a small gen 4 Gigabyte motherboard with a 3.2 gig i5 with 16 gig of memory and installed Linux Mint20 onto it. All the normal stuff seems to work OK, the only thing I had problems with was getting a VNC server to work.

I tried the TigerVNC server, the TightVNC server and with either of them installed you could not even find them to configure so I completely uninstalled them and went for the x11vnc package that actually worked. Bit of messing around to work out how the password worked but I am currently typing this posting via VNC on my dev box to the Google version of Firefox and all seems to be well.

Interestingly enough, apart from developing Windows software, for normal computing, internet, video, music, email etc .... it actually works well and there is a ton of software available. I have not installed all of it yet but VLC, Inkscape, Google Earth and a whole host of other stuff works OK and it comes at the right price.

If it had a better video card, the VNC would be more responsive, I have found that between my dev box and the latest near identical one, the VNC is much faster as both boxes have reasonably good video cards but the ancient one gig memory Gigabyte card works well enough so its no big deal.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Greenhorn

Re: Linux Mint 20 up and running.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:52 AM »
Here is a good tutorial on TigerVNC on Ubuntu/Mint.

How to Install and Configure VNC Server on Ubuntu

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:10:39 AM »
Thanks, I had already had a look at them but I got the x11vnc package working after selecting TightVNC protocol and it actually works OK. I am generally impressed with Linux Mint 20. 19.3 worked well enough and this version seems to be a bit more efficient. Each Linux Mint install I have done has worked better and I am getting used to how it works.

Differing from many of the older distros, almost everything works correctly and you can do almost all of it from the interface. In days of old you would shove Redhat into a box then configure it manually but with these Debian spinoffs, you have to suffer pseudo (sudo) which made learning the guts of it a real pain.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
Thanks, I had already had a look at them but I got the x11vnc package working after selecting TightVNC protocol and it actually works OK. I am generally impressed with Linux Mint 20. 19.3 worked well enough and this version seems to be a bit more efficient. Each Linux Mint install I have done has worked better and I am getting used to how it works.

Differing from many of the older distros, almost everything works correctly and you can do almost all of it from the interface. In days of old you would shove Redhat into a box then configure it manually but with these Debian spinoffs, you have to suffer pseudo (sudo) which made learning the guts of it a real pain.
Yes,those where the computer hobbyist, had lots of compilers and editors and script languages to play with or wanted to develop for Linux environment
Wonder how it's today to benchmark Win10 vs Linux mint?  With same test proc running?  Like I tested xp vs redhat about 20 years ago
SIMD fan and macro fan
Happy new year 2021 that can only turn out to become better than worse 2020 :)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 09:11:37 PM »
 :biggrin:

You will have to show us how its done.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com

jimg

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:22:31 PM »
... I am currently typing this posting via VNC on my dev box to the Google version of Firefox and all seems to be well....
:dazzled:
It boggles the mind.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 03:02:59 AM »
Getting the x11vnc working truly does boggle the mind.  :tongue:
RE : Firefox, the first decent version I have seen for years, their old code base was a pile of crap.

The left and top photos are of the 15 year old can with a gen 4 Gigabyte board and a 3.2 gig i5 and it runs OK. 2 disks put in from the front, an ancient Gigabyte 1 gig video card and a couple of very old WD Green disks. I swiped 16 gig of DDR3 out of the other Linux box as it was happy enough with 8 gig and put in a double USB3 front plate. I had a weird cooler that was too small for my big boxes so I put that in and it work OK as well.

The black ugly thing at the bottom right is my win7 64 box.

hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 12:51:41 AM »
With the disks removable, I pulled the Linux Mint 20 disk and installed the old XP on a 500 gig hdd. A bit of messing around looking for drivers and luckily I found an ethernet driver from Lenovo that worked with the RealTek ethernet on the board so its all up and running OK. Surprising how fast XP is on a board/processor from a much later era. The 16 gig of memory was not wasted, XP cannot use more that 4 gig so I installed a ImDisk ramdisk of 12 gig and put a few items that are slow loaders on it and its genuinely fast.

It is useful to me as it runs old stuff well that Win10 is poor at and I may later install the old MSDN help files as they run fine on XP. I installed TightVnc on it and can run it from my main box. The only real flop was any of the Google based browsers, any of the 32 bit versions misbehave badly, block sites, always trying to download lists that are no longer available etc .... I hunted around and found an old friend that I use long ago, Kmeleon and while its a bit primitive, it does the job and I only need it to download the occasional file as I can download anything I need with my main box and simply copy it over.
hutch at movsd dot com