Author Topic: Miracles happen !  (Read 855 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Miracles happen !
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:35 PM »
While I am still waiting for a board, processor and memory coming from China, I ordered a Xeon E5-2690V3 which turned up today as I paid an extra $40.00 AUD to get it here in my lifetime. Its a 12 core 24 thread monster that fits a socket 2011-3 board, 2.6 gig to 3.4 gig frequency so it should be fast enough for general purpose single thread work but with the core/thread count it should deal with video transcoding very well.

Just forked for a Gigabyte board that uses that family of processors and have ordered 64 gig of memory for the board so I should be able to put it together for testing reasonably soon. The other from China will turn up eventually and I have another Xeon, an 8 core 2.6 to 3.5 frequency and that is the one that will cost a lot less with the Chinese board to build.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
Re: Miracles happen !
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 04:25:38 AM »
Great,a celeron has less than 100% cache, a xeon more than 100%, how much?
With so many new boxes built lately,do you perhaps buy bigger LAN gigabit switch for 20 or more computers?
SIMD fan and macro fan
Happy new year 2021 that can only turn out to become better than worse 2020 :)

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 05:17:49 AM »
With so many new boxes built lately,do you perhaps buy bigger LAN gigabit switch for 20 or more computers?

Gunther could say "a farm"  :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
 :biggrin:

Magnus,

I already own 2 24 port unmanaged switches, one is currently in use and I will get around to finding a use for the second one. The main factor is they last for years and about all that goes wrong with them is the fans get noisy after a while.

The main win with the Xeon processors you can buy from China is you get them at about one tenth of the price. The hardest thing is to get decent boards, any of the brand name stuff is prohibitively expensive and the Chinese boards can be a bit dodgy if you are not careful where you get them from.

The other factor is that if you get the V3 Xeons, they are Haswell generation which supports AVX2 and currently you don't need much more as AVX512 is still experimental.

What I had in mind if and when the Chinese board, memory and processor turn up was to do a project building a basic computer for a very low cost that delivers more bang for your buck.

While I am sure that we have members cruising the oceans of the world in their super yachts writing code from the observation deck while sipping cool drinks from long glasses brought to them by alluring young ladies, the vast majority of programmers cannot afford to throw huge sums of money at computer hardware but with the low cost of Xeon processors in China, you can get some big bang for your buck if you are careful for a lot less than an i9 on a brand name board.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:27 PM »
Hutch I appreciate your hardware threads
One time I built several computers and saved some money on use the previous gpu, from when I upgraded main computer
And used them together it for rendering animation,frames shared by several computers on lan
One thing that would be nice to have is some industrial kind of laptop,that has kinda keyboard sheltered from oil and grease,so you don't need to worry about some drink ruins it
SIMD fan and macro fan
Happy new year 2021 that can only turn out to become better than worse 2020 :)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:38:45 PM »

I have seen those rubber coated keyboards used in factories but they are really horrible things to use. They keep out mess and particles and you can probably use them with industrial gloves on but the typing feel is really poor.

If you set up your hardware properly and look after it, you get many years out of it. My now old Haswell has a Nvidia GTX 960 that is now 4.5 years old and it has done everything I ever wanted with it perfectly. I am not into gaming so the absolute frame rate does not matter but you may find the humour in 2 other boxes the use radeon RX 580 8 gig cards that they have never got hot enough to turn the fans on.

I have an old Nvidia 1 gig card that is so old I forget what box it came out of but I have tested it in one of the test boxes I have built and it looks fine, plays video perfectly. You would not use it for any modern games but apart from that it does everything OK.

hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I even have a delivery date for the board from Melbourne. Memory will be available by about middle next week and I already have two Xeon processors to play with when it all hits the deck. Will have to flash the BIOS on the board but the last one went OK so it should be no big deal.

I may get to see this new box up and going while I am still alive.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
Board arrived today, immediately flashed the BIOS which worked OK. Only cooler I had was an undersized air cooler so I have set it up and its idling at 35c which is OK. I have just ordered an identical liquid cooler to the last one as it runs the i7 5820k at ambient, about 20c.

Its the first time I have run a Xeon, this is a 12 core that from the BIOS runs at 3.1 gig which is predictable. It is supposed to run a bit faster than that in turbo mode but I can play with that once I have enough stuff to build the box. The board was a bit sluggish for a while as it has not been run for years but with the BIOS flashed, a new CMOS battery and run it for a few hours, it seems to have warmed everything up and it looks like it runs OK.

I only have a few old disks left and I have to get some more stuff to properly set the box up, I need a fast SSD for the boot drive and other partitions but I have to watch how much I spend in one go.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 12:53:57 AM »
There is some delay in the memory for this latest board so after testing the new board I pulled the Xeon and put it into the most recent box and did some testing. Under full load on all 12 cores the speed drops to 3 gig but with 12 cores at 3 gig its still about 60% faster than the i7 5820k that I had in it before.

The 5820k is clocked at 3.8 which it holds under full load where the Xeon is supposed to run at 2.6 to 3.5 gig. I used the BIOS F7 load optimised defaults and it now runs at 3 to 3.5 gig which is still a very useful range. Interesting enough, the Xeon has a higher thermal range at 89c

It means I can now take my time building the new board into a box as all of the bits turn up, cooler has been ordered, memory by the end of the week and I will have to buy some more HDDs as I am running out of viable sized disks.
hutch at movsd dot com