Author Topic: I have learnt something about VNC  (Read 777 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
I have learnt something about VNC
« on: September 26, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »
I used to think that the video card made the difference but that is in fact not true, its processor grunt. Between two of these socket 2011-3 processors, the video with VNC is nearly as good as directly using the machine, this has been handy as its been cold here for the last few days and the test bed is in another room that is cold at night.

I use a reasonably old version of TightVNC and it still performs really well.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

K_F

• Anybody out there?
Re: I have learnt something about VNC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:26:26 AM »
You got me puzzled here.. what would a graphics card (GPU) have to do with the network ?

Unless you're compressing video, but then the size of the frame and frame rate might make a diff.
It (Shaders) probably was programmed in C ;)... that's if it uses the GPU.
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:27:23 AM »
You are right of course but without having taken much notice, I made the assumption that the video feed was passed to the network and thus the video cards but with enough comparisons, that is in fact wrong. With an i7 4770k on the other end the video was OK but a bit laggy but with the Xeons I have been building recently that have a lot more processor grunt the video is a lot faster and unless you are running something that has a fast screen update rate, you almost cannot tell the difference any longer.

It may help that the last 2 boards are supposed to have low latency ethernet as well.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
maybe the gaming mobo you showed in video,is better with dataflow directly from RAM to ports
more RAM channels =better performance combined with newer faster RAM generation
do you also have 6 channel sound,like I have on my mobo?

SIMD fan and macro fan
Happy new year 2021 that can only turn out to become better than worse 2020 :)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 12:33:08 PM »
The ram is specified at 2666 but with a normal BIOS tweak, it clocks it up to 2999 which is faster than either the Xeons or the i7 5820k that I have. The board supports 5 channel sound and I have a sound system that will work with it but almost no music is recorded in 5 channel so for sound I use HIFI amps and reasonable speakers.

My old box uses a 100 watt RMS power amp which works fine and the most recent one I have finished has a 120 watt RMS power amp running a pair of shelf speakers and it sounds fine, bit bright on the treble but good enough.

Video on the latest is an 8 gig Radeon RX 580 and so far I have never seen the fans turn on so its not being worked all that hard. You can spend a lot more on video cards but I am not into gaming so I don't see the point of spending a couple of grand on a gamers video card.

I should have a new can for the new one today or in the next few days so I can actually put it all together at last. I still have an 8 core Xeon in the board at the moment but I will swap it for the i7 5820k as I can clock it up a lot faster than the Xeon will run at. The other Xeon is a 12 core 24 thread monster for heavyweight data processing, mainly video encoding.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
Hi Hutch,

The other Xeon is a 12 core 24 thread monster for heavyweight data processing, mainly video encoding.

It would be interesting to try Oracle Virtual Box or Qemu on this powerful hardware.

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 04:24:28 AM »
development computer for graphics are much faster with a fast multicore cpu and lots of fast RAM and a good gpu than when I started with a old singlecore cpu,because newer Cg app version can utilize many cores,so I dont need to wait long for result of any render,especially animation or huge hires render to be enough detailed for poster
even postwork editing 2D,the 2D functions are faster and I can work on many hires simultanously thanks to 20GB memory
for non-game gpu usage:OpenGL quick preview its good to have fast several GB vram gpu so it computer doesnt lag when working on 3d scene
so Hutch 12core computer it would be even faster

SIMD fan and macro fan
Happy new year 2021 that can only turn out to become better than worse 2020 :)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
The rough distinction is between very fast single core versus slower multi-core processing. Most games still only use a few cores so they profit from high clock speeds where tasks like video encoding when the software is written correctly can use the full range of processor cores which distributes the workload across many threads.

My old box and the one I am trying to finish use an unlocked 5820k 6 core and at 3.8 gig, it is faster than the 12 core that runs all core at about 3 gig so you pick what works the best for a particular task. As a dev box the 5820k is a better proposition but for large scale processing, the Xeon 12 core because it is simply faster on low thread count tasks.

When I get this new one finished, I will experiment with upping the clock speed as this particular processor is designed to be clocked up to the  the safe temperature the cooling solution can handle. If you can keep it under 60c under full core load, it is safe and will last for years.

To add insult to injury, the new can I had delivered last night will not accept the board and cooler so at about 1 AM I ordered another case that I know will work with the board and cooler.
hutch at movsd dot com