Author Topic: New big air cooler  (Read 373 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
New big air cooler
« on: October 17, 2020, 12:09:51 AM »
I needed to buy a cooler for the Atermiter board as the one I use for setups does not have any mounts for it so the joys of buy before you try has jumped up and bit me again. Its a Deep Cool Satan cooler and its that big I don't have a can that it will fit in, it would work with no side cover on it which may have to do.

I own a retail copy of Win7 64 so after the usual p*ssing around with Microsoft to install it and then searching for video and network drivers where just about all the vendors have dropped drivers for Win7, I got the right video from Gigabyte and hunted around for the Realtek network drivers. After I got it going something like OK, it took 3 goes to get Microsoft to recognise the serial number key and it is now registered and working.

The video card is a 2013 Gigabyte and with the latest drivers it runs OK, an old 2 gig model and on the box itself it ran Aero OK but from TightVNC remote it was truly pathetic so I set an old style profile of a plain colour background and no gimmicks and its fast again.

With it up and going, I did some testing with it on video as its an 8 core Xeon that clocks almost as fast as my old Haswell on a list of video files, the interesting part is it does not hit full 100% load and runs at under 50c as fast as it will go so it will be useful when I gang up a number of computers to transcode large numbers of video files.

One weird side effect was the cooler fouled the back of the video card and I was lucky that the board has 2 x PCIe x 16 slots so I had to put it in the bottom one so it did not short components on the video card.

hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
Re: New big air cooler
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 01:31:22 AM »
That it's a big monster!  :biggrin: