Author Topic: Atermiter Box Finished  (Read 467 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Atermiter Box Finished
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:36:00 AM »
I was tired of it sprawled all over my table so I put it into a case and while the cooler sticks out the side, it has gone together OK and while it ain't beautiful, it does what it was intended to do, run a Xeon CPU with enough grunt to be useful. While I have used a pile of my older left overs to build it, it has generally been a low cost build using a low cost Chinese board and a recycled Intel Xeon, in this case an 8 core 2.6 gig Xeon (E5-2640v3) and the total cost is a lot less than funding the most recent hardware.

I have run the video test and it did the test in just under 10 minutes, about a minute slower than my old Haswell i7. The interesting part is it just does not heat up, both with the new cooler and the old one I use for testing, it barely reached 50c and it does not run at a full 100% so its a robust combination that you can thrash the guts out of.

hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Atermiter Box Finished
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:28:18 PM »
I had another 12 core Xeon turn up last week and got enough time to put it into the Atermiter board. Apart from the heat sink being a real pig to re-install due to how it is mounted, got it up and going and did the thrash it test, run all 12 cores as fast as it would go and the results are close enough to the other identical CPU in a Gigabyte board.

Runs all 12 cores at 3 gig and with the big air cooler, it did not top 50c so it would be classed as a success. The down side was even putting 2 smaller fans on the heat sink, it still protruded just enough not to be able to put the side cover on so I will have to pull it down and try it in another case that I think is just slightly wider.

Put a new AMD RADEON RX580 into it and it works OK, better than the 2013 2 gig one I had in it before and even with the latest drivers, the graphics when run by remote control with TightVNC is poor alongside the others so I think the limitation is the Win7 64 OS loaded on the box. I would update it to Win10 64 but the 3 Win10 boxes I have all have problems with the updates and I think it is another Microsoft stuffup.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Atermiter Box Finished
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
Last trick was to solve a problem when the board came with no drivers. Win10 64 got most things working OK but there was this long list of "Base System Devices" that I could not find any drivers for. Kept searching and found the suggestion, download the Intel SERVER chipset as the CPU is a Xeon, installed them and BINGO, everything works.

In the words of Martin Luther King, "Free at last" I don't have to configure any more Win10 64 mysteries and all the hardware works.

I fixed another irritation on one of the new boxes, due to some glitch during installation, the startup screen had "Other User" rather than the name of the first profile and after climbing all over Windows I still could not find how to fix it. With yet another search, it involved running a policy editor to turn off the last user option and it magically displayed the right sign on screen.

Just as a passing note, after installing Win10 64, the video performance via TightVNC was a lot better so the problem really was the video in Win7 64.
hutch at movsd dot com