Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Help with Opengl Khronos quote

Started by kiptron, October 29, 2020, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Hi kiptron,

Hutch is right, OpenGL calls are not threads. You call the API, and your program sits there and waits until the API has done the job. That's also called synchronous.

In contrast, when you open a thread with CreateThread, it is like a separate program that acts independently of your main program. A nanosecond after the invoke CreateThread, your program continues. The "other" program, in the meantime, may have a lot to do, like downloading some megabytes from the web. This is what threads are good for: doing heavy tasks in the background while the main program continues undisturbed.

kiptron

Thanks JJ and Hutch  Yes, all these issues started after I switched to Win 10 64.
Back in the 32 bit days, things ran fine. Same extensions, same code, no sweat.
As I mentioned to Hutch a while back, the hardware vendors are stopping support
for Opengl in favor of Vulkan, so their driver writers are focusing their time on that
I am sure. I found the learning curve of Vulkan to be insanely complex. I could not
make heads or tails out of it. Thanks guys  Kiptron

Mikl__

QuoteI found the learning curve of Vulkan to be insanely complex
Hi, kiptron!
For write Vulkan-programs need a special video card? Can I use a standard VGA-adapter built into the motherboard? Where can I find Vulkan-programming examples or tutorials? Is it possible to rewrite the NeHe lessons and the redbook for openGL for Vulkan programming?

hutch--

What I would be inclined to do instead of making direct hardware calls is to start testing the actual libraries to see if that gives you more reliable performance. Even when the OS has made changes, the libraries generally access the correct addresses and this may give you a bit more life with OpenGL.

kiptron

Hi Mikl,  From what I have learned, the Khronos group has taken over the maintenence
and documentation of Vulkan. Any modern computer has the drivers for it depending on
the manufacturer of the graphics chips. It should not matter if it is motherboard hardware
or an add on card. Vulkan works nothing like Opengl. The configuration and initialization
made my head spin. There are probably libraries to do these chores for you. I know very
little about it. If you can understand it, set up a demo and share it with us. As I mentioned,
it is the graphics API of the future. As you may have noticed, I posted a simple Opengl demo
a while back. It worked for maybe half the members who tried it. That demo used only the
old original API. For the cool modern functions like custom shaders, texturing, arrays for
high speed rendering for animation and games you need the extensions. Opengl has it's
own compiler and linker for shader creation. GLSL is the C like shader language. It's all
going away apparently. Running these modern extensions is what is giving me trouble
and causing instability and protection faults. I think this is because my AMD drivers have
mistakes and errors because they have given up on Opengl. Very sad for us old programmers.  Kiptron

rendering you need to request the pointers for these calls.