Author Topic: Updated my Win7 64 Ultimate to Win 10 64 Pro.  (Read 652 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Updated my Win7 64 Ultimate to Win 10 64 Pro.
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:06:41 PM »
I just got tired of fixing Win7 problems so after reading around, the jist was that you could still upgrade Win7 64 to Win 10 64 so I shoved the downloaded update onto a USB stick and ran it and it completely installed with no problems on the Win 7 64 registration key that was already on the machine. Everything still worked and I can run it from my main box via TightVNC with no problems at all.

Quality and speed is a lot better, the Radeon RX 580 is an OK video card but it was slow via TightVNC where with Win10 its nearly as good as directly using the box. Now if I can get it into a can that actually fits the heat sink, I will have this one out of my hair as well.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Vortex

Re: Updated my Win7 64 Ultimate to Win 10 64 Pro.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:55:58 PM »
Hi Hutch,

The Professional versions of Windows are supporting the remote desktop connection. Since you have Win10 Pro, the RDP is a better option than TightVNC.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 12:57:43 AM »
I just don't know how good it is, TightVNC has worked well for me for years but what I am wary about is Microsoft having access to anything on my computer.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:02:59 AM »
Hi Hutch,

The display of remote desktop is superior than VNC. The remote desktop \ terminal service requires only the TCP port 3389. That's a LAN to LAN traffic in your system.
Port 5900 is used by TightVNC. This is replaced by 3389 \ Remote desktop protocol.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 01:25:16 AM »
When I get in front I will have to do some testing with it.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 07:57:36 PM »
I have not got over the novelty yet, all the hardware finished and have all 4 versions of Win10 configured and running more or less properly. All running version 20H2. The Chinese Atermiter board now has the other Xeon E5-2690v3 and it is close in performance to the first one in the Gigabyte board. Bench marks in Cinebench and CPU-Z close to the first one and with processing of external data its about a minute or so slower that the Gigabyte board. Variations are probably in the BIOS which does not have the ajustments that the Gigabye board has.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »
Done the latest rebuild of the Atermiter board box. A heart and soul transplant, I hooked another Xeon E5-2690v3 from a vendor in Australia's Northern Territory, a 12 core 24 thread monster that runs at 3 gig with all 12 cores loaded. Shouted the box a new AMD Radeon RX580 video card as you can buy them at a reasonable price and installed Win10 64 Pro over the Win7 64 Ultimate that was in it and after configuring Win 10, its a pleasantly fast box to use.

The 3 gig is not fast enough for gamers but it does general purpose tasks well but its real use is as a 12 core / 24 thread grunter and it shaped up OK here. It is slightly slower on real world data crunching than the other I have in a Gigabyte board and the differences will be in the BIOS but its easily fast enough to be useful.

The only real problem is that even after removing the 140 mm fan and using 2 x 120 mm fans in push/pull configuration, I still can get the PHUKING side cover back on as the tips of the heat tubes stick out too far. Its a Deep Cool "Satan" air cooler and it has been a real devil to get into a can.

hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 08:05:29 AM »
Hi Hutch,

Very nice system :thumbsup:

What is the size of your OS hard disk in your new computer? If the capacity exceeds 2 TB, you will need to switch to the UEFI BIOS system.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
Hi Erol,

Fortunately the board already has a UEFI BIOS and you can plug anything into it as disks. This one has most of my leftovers in it, 4 * 1tb disks and the boot drive is a small 250 gig SATA SSD. The only new stuff I had to buy for it was a decent video card and 32 gig of memory so it is what I originally aimed at, a low cost computer that works OK. The main win is the low cost Xeon CPUs from China and I have a couple of different models as spares.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 07:34:58 PM »
Hi Hutch,

32 GB memory capacity is impressive. You mentioned about Imdisk ( I am using it too ). Some operations are very fast in the RAMdisk. Doing a system backup to the RAM disk is faster. After completing the backup operation, I immediately copy the archive to another drive \ network drive.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »
I was using ImDISK and it performed well but it broke the Win10 auto-update so I had to remove it and use another that I had to pay for, Radeon Ramdisk, $19.0 USD. Memory costs are not that high here, when I first built my old DEV box the 64 gig just about sent me broke but o the 2 other new ones, I have put 64 gig on both.

The new stuff around at the moment is not that much faster than the i7s and Xeons I am currently using and I am hoping that this gives me a few years before I need to buy later stuff. AMD have the advantage at the moment in speed for cost and Intel are having problems with their new processing techniques but I imagine they will get it right sooner or later.
hutch at movsd dot com