Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

XML or JSON?

Started by HSE, January 07, 2021, 05:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSE

Hi all!

I'm thinking something to manage bibliography in a non lineal way, perhaps some kind of tree.
The idea is a full catalogue lineal, but referenced in secundary catalogues by subjects, subsubjects, etc.
I don't know if there is an standard for that kind of trees.

A lot of years ago I could think that XML is most reasonably format to store that data, but now I see a lot of interest in JSON. Question then is: What could be better?

Thanks in advance. HSE
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

DebugBSD

Quote from: HSE on January 07, 2021, 05:44:07 AM
Hi all!

I'm thinking something to manage bibliography in a non lineal way, perhaps some kind of tree.
The idea is a full catalogue lineal, but referenced in secundary catalogues by subjects, subsubjects, etc.
I don't know if there is an standard for that kind of trees.

A lot of years ago I could think that XML is most reasonably format to store that data, but now I see a lot of interest in JSON. Question then is: What could be better?

Thanks in advance. HSE

Hi,

In my opinion, I should go to Json because it's more easy to parse or at least I find it more easy to parse. With a tree data structure you can parse a file in one pass. The problem I see with XML is the opening and closing tags. That thing is not needed with JSON because all groups are closed with a single } instead of using /> or other thing. Furthermore, there are a lot of articles on the internet where to learn the syntax which it's so easy. (https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_json_syntax.asp) 

That's my opinion
Happy Hacking!

Biterider

Hi HSE
If you have a choice, my vote will definitely go to JSON.
It is simple and easy to read, which results in a faster encoding and parsing process. This is important when you have a lot of data.
Maybe it's hype, but you have JSON support on many other platforms and languages.

Biterider

Adamanteus

Non lineal structures is very difficult to save in DB, as and use as DB for it lightweight data-interchange format, could it do only most complex formats. So, for such cases, graphs could be saved by edges (nodes is record ids) in standalone DB  :eusa_boohoo:

HSE

Quote from: Adamanteus on January 07, 2021, 11:10:25 AM
Non lineal structures is very difficult to save in DB
Yes, I used a little SQLite for more standard DB, but is not for this.

JSON 2 - XML 0 until now  :biggrin:

I think, I will try to make the complete list JSON compatible with BibTex format  :rolleyes:

Thanks very much. HSE
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath