Author Topic: I just found a good priced Xeon E5 2690v3  (Read 628 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
I just found a good priced Xeon E5 2690v3
« on: August 31, 2021, 12:19:32 AM »
I already have a couple of these and you use them for large data crunching but I have a spare box that I built to replace my old timer but it refuses to die and works perfectly so I might convert the spare box into another 12 core data muncher.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
Re: I just found a good priced Xeon E5 2690v3
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:12:37 PM »
great :thumbsup:
do you gonna write 24 thread program to match it?
SIMD fan and macro fan
why assembly is fastest is because its switch has no (brakes) breaks
:P
only in 16bit assembly you can get away with "Only words" :P

LiaoMi

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:36:47 AM »
Hi Hutch,

I have i9-10900, let us compare our performance  :badgrin: :biggrin: :thup:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 01:56:11 AM »
You should have a lot of fun with that, I just had a quick look at the specs, 10 cores, 20 threads and 5.2 gig turbo. Now what will be interesting is how many cores it can run at 5.2 gig. The Xeon is a server CPU and will run 24 threads at near 100% for hours. I already have one that I use for multi-thread data crunching and it will run the 12 cores at 3 gig. I run a large liquid cooler with it and thrashing it, it runs at just over 50c.

If you are putting it into a desktop, make sure you over cool it, there are some very good liquid coolers available and if you can keep the temperature down, you will get higher performance for longer. Let me know how it turns out, should be a real rocket if you set it up correctly.

My old i7, a 5820k is designed to be overclocked and I run it at a conservative 4 gig which is higher than its default 3.3 gig and it will peak at about 65c running  6 cores, 12 threads at near 100%.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• building nextdoor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 04:43:23 AM »
@LiaoMi :thumbsup:
what do you use it for except assembler?3d apps rendering,animation,video editing?
many hipoly 3d models,with several hires textures ,rendering needs some grunt

SIMD fan and macro fan
why assembly is fastest is because its switch has no (brakes) breaks
:P
only in 16bit assembly you can get away with "Only words" :P

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
It turned up today from Brisbane. A physically large CPU, 12 core, 24 thread specced at 2.6 gig. In the board with BIOS tweaking it runs low thread counts at between 3.3 and 3.5 gig, on all 12 cores it runs at 3.0 gig. Sad part is while the CPUs are easy enough to get, X99 boards worth owning are very hard to get and expensive. I hooked 2 Gigabyte boards from a Chinese vendor in Victoria at about $400 AU each.

hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 09:54:14 PM »
I am trying my luck with a Gigabyte board from a vendor in the UK. It turned up in a pile of other stuff and is untested but unless its damaged it can probably be got going with no real problems. The two I bought from a vendor in Victoria would not run as they arrived and had to have the BIOS flashed to get them going and its probably the same with this one I have made a bid on.

These boards are really hard to get and I have seen them up for sale for megabucks but I may be lucky with this one if nothing is wrong with it. My old box is built with a very similar x99 board and while they are legacy hardware using the haswell family of x99 CPUs, I have no real need for AVX 512 and they support AVX2 so I can probably build a fast machine with it that has enough grunt to do useful stuff.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 07:38:55 PM »
I changed my mind and bought another Gigabyte x99 board from the US. Fully tested and with the latest BIOS update (saving me the trouble) and with the Xeon E5 2690 v3 ready to rock 'n roll, I may get a decent fast replacement for the Chinese Atemiter board that I have running. The Atemiter board runs OK but with a very ordinary BIOS, it was not getting the full power of the Xeon and does not perform as well as the other that I have running in a very good gigabyte board.

The real use I have for the 12 core Xeon is video processing and it reduces the time to process full movies as well as video I have shot myself. The old i7's that I use when clocked to 4 gig are reasonably brisk but for multi-core work, the Xeon's have the legs.
hutch at movsd dot com

Antariy

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 08:33:57 AM »
I have i9-10900, let us compare our performance  :badgrin: :biggrin: :thup:

Just as simple reference lol:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-10900-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-2690-v3/3745vs2364

Code: [Select]
Intel Core i9-10900 @ 2.80GHz Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3 @ 2.60GHz + ADD
Max TDP 65W 135W
First Seen on Chart Q2 2020 Q2 2014
Single Thread Rating 3072 1902
CPU Mark 20831 16434

Considering it's "age" and the price you could now get it with, even with twice "higher" (read below a note on this) power consumption, the Xeon drives well. Considering numerous other facts about those, don't assume 10900 to be A LOT more performant in therms of instructions processed per WATT consumed.

Note single thread rating. In single thread load 10900 will have turbo frequency 5.2 GHz, while Xeon (this particular) will have 3,5 MAX.
So, considering the same Xeon to be run at 5,2 Ghz (just assumption, as it could have been IF Xeon could have been run on 5,2 GHz lol :D ): 5,2 / 3,5 * 1902 = 2826 scores.
While 10900 on the same frequence has 3072 scores, which is less than 9% improvement of performance per cycle over a lot older architecture.
Of course all those numbers are taken considering those results of benchmarks got above off the site. And are not really scientifical reference. But some food for thought, huh? :D  :biggrin:
Well, anyway, we all know Intel after Sandy Bridge did not improve the performance with big leaps, like it was in times of pre-Sandy Bridge, and Sandy Bridge leap times.

Now, look at the following: 10900 single thread score / Xeron single thread score = 1,615 (times 10900 'better')
now the same but for multiple threads / 'overall cpu mark' - 1,2675550687598880369964707314105. Just 27% better overall. But at the same time, to reach that/those 27% at full load, 10900 EATS / CONSUMES a lot more than its marketologists-stated '65W'. Easily the same or even more than Xeon. Why - read below.

NOTE on TDP: intel is not really honest in the specifications for its new processors, 65W is the 'real power' of the CPU being run in its base core frequency, presumably not even using newest AVX extensions, while being run with load on all cores and/or with max. out turbo frequency, its power will easily exceed Xeon's. So, these numbers '65W' for 10900 are just 'marketing reference', if you turn off power limits for your 10900 CPU and use very good cooling and will do the stress-test or heavy computing task, it could presumably exceed 200W haha.

While Xeons 'datasheet' are stating real power: it's SERVER CPU, it can't lie and can't mislead the 'consumer' with wrong info. This TDP is hardly 'wired' to CPU itself and it NEVER can reach anything above stated TDP. Nearing to TDP limits CPU begins to drop frequencies (throttling).

And being put to the same power limit as Xeon, 10900 will drastically outperform it only in lower-thread-count tasks. With full load - there would not be drastical YEAH FAT BIG DRASTICAL difference. Maybe 30% yeah. But is that something worth mentioning 7 years later and 5 generations of CPU made since this model of Xeon (Haswell - as 4th Generation - then 5th Broadwell, 6th Skylale, 7th Kaby Lake, 8th and 9th Coffee Lake, and 10th - Comet Lake) ? :D  :greensml:

Marketing, marketing is all around. Don't trust anyone. This post - too, haha  :greenclp: :greensml: :rofl: :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
There is another factor in using Xeon E5 2690 v3 CPUs. If you have a decent cooling solution, you can thrash the guts out of them for hours and you struggle to get the temperature much over 50c. I have been converting a pile of DVD movies to MP4 recently which means using Handbrake for the conversion then using ffmpeg to clean them up and watching "Coretemp" none of the 12 cores go over about 50 - 52c.

Intel Platinum's are coming onto the market at under $1000 USD and dropping rapidly but I have not seen desktop motherboards for them. You can buy one from Gigabyte but the cost would be prohibitive, > $10,000 USD.
hutch at movsd dot com

Antariy

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 09:25:18 AM »
Intel Platinum's are coming onto the market at under $1000 USD and dropping rapidly but I have not seen desktop motherboards for them. You can buy one from Gigabyte but the cost would be prohibitive, > $10,000 USD.

You mean Socket 3647 CPUs, Steve? if yes, then on ASUS - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/WS-C621E-SAGE/ and/or https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/Pro-WS-C621-64L-SAGE-10G/ and/or https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/Pro-WS-C621-64L-SAGE-10G/ don't know how much will it cost in AU, but guessing not more than $2000 (what, of course, is way too much anyway).

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
 :biggrin:

Looks great but you are right, you would indeed need many Roubles/shekels or whatever to but the board, 2 Platinums and a mountain of memory.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com

Antariy

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 09:49:56 AM »
There is another factor in using Xeon E5 2690 v3 CPUs. If you have a decent cooling solution, you can thrash the guts out of them for hours and you struggle to get the temperature much over 50c. I have been converting a pile of DVD movies to MP4 recently which means using Handbrake for the conversion then using ffmpeg to clean them up and watching "Coretemp" none of the 12 cores go over about 50 - 52c.

Yes, there are MANY factors which make old Xeons good. The thermal solution under the CPU cover/heat-spreader - it's SOLDER in the 2011 socket. And thermal 'paste'/grease all around above of it (newer of it), requiring to delid CPU to get better cooling but to lose warranty at all. So this means easier cooling/better cooling out of the box.

Now then again about cooling - MORE BIG TECHNOLOGY - 22nm against 14nm - surprisingly it might to appear at first glance - but not in fact - you can cool higher sized chip better than lower sized chip. Also the themperature stability of a chip with higher/bigger size of a single unit/transistor is higher. AMD now with its '7nm' process are having even higher problems with cooling of the chips, while reaching some 'limit' for some particular chip, you can't get more performance out of it (can't overclock, let's say it simpler) just because you cann't anymore to cool it with any SANE/every-day solution lol :D  :greensml:

Also degradation of the chip due to run at max loads in the same 'sample' temperature is LOWER for chip with higher/bigger production process size/technology.

Many 'also's', yeah, even though Haswell/Broadwell even core is not overall good for LOWER-count or even more so SINGLE-core loads requiring high frequency... but who cares when you use CPU only to work and not to game on it with highest possible 'results' lol

And, yeah, as a salt component to the sauce: 4 memory channels in 2011 against 2 memory channels to all current desktop Intel's sockets. So, Cheap memory 2666 MHz at Hutch's BRAND MOTHERBOARD setup will outperform in bandwidth 5000 MHz (5Ghz!) VERY COSTLY MEMORY in 10900 build.

It's products of different markets (server-data-crunching and consumer segments), bad idea to compare 10900 to 2011th CPUs anyway. There are tasks where 10900 will outperform Xeon (games, for example), and there are those tasks where price of Xeon and some other its points of the 'older-age' technology will outperform 'yesterday's level' technology.

Antariy

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
:biggrin:

Looks great but you are right, you would indeed need many Roubles/shekels or whatever to but the board, 2 Platinums and a mountain of memory.  :tongue:

But, hey, Steve, you then will have a PC near to something what is used somewhere in DreamWorks and/or Pixar studios :D HAHA  :tongue:
(well, with exception of graphics solutions used, but who cares?)

A pile of cores also! :biggrin:

(flooding/spamming mode off)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 10:13:32 AM »
With x99, I have 2 i7 5820k CPUs, one in my old box and one in another and at 140 watt and decent cooling clocked at 4 gig over the original 3.3, it peaks at about 65c when thrashing the guts out of it as the old box has the wrong can (case) for double fan liquid coolers but its a faster box for development and other things where the Xeon's kick ass for multi-threaded tasks.

You can clock the old i7's up to about 4.5 gig but the gain is not worth the temperature increase.
hutch at movsd dot com