Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

New notebook and Windows 11

Started by jj2007, October 28, 2021, 12:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

JJ,

The first thing you do with Win10 64 is DECRAPP it so it tends to do what you want, not just be an advertising vehicle for Microsoft. Look for a toy called WinaeroTweaker or any other similar app that lets you adjust a whole host of Windows settings. Get a modern version of WINFILE if you were ever used to it as its more like a knife than a bag of marshmellows. Learn where the settings are, one area is "Control Panel", the other is the gear on the start menu.

Once you get rid of the junk, it is a better OS than Win7 and can do more things well. You do have to learn where everything is but being familiar with all of the settings locations (all over the place like a mad woman's sewerage) lets you configure the box a lot easier.

When you get to the APPS option with default apps, scroll down to the nearly hidden options at the bottom of the page to find more settings.

jj2007

Thanks, I am fighting my way through :badgrin:

Masm32 & MasmBasic are up and running already :thumbsup:

Now disinstalling Slimjet from the old notebook. Deleting 209,622 elements, 1.88GB. It's a browser, what the hell does it store in that folder??? 40 minutes left for deleting...

TimoVJL

@jj congratulations of new laptop and hopefully soon we see test results too :smiley:
May the source be with you

daydreamer

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

jj2007

First result: By disabling the built-in AV completely, I could push the assembly time for RichMasm from 5.8 to 1.5 seconds! Isn't that cute? :tongue:

Btw my 10-year old machine does it in 1.5 seconds, too. Excluding the \Masm32 folder on the new machine had zero effect.

LiaoMi

Quote from: jj2007 on November 19, 2021, 09:26:38 AM
First result: By disabling the built-in AV completely, I could push the assembly time for RichMasm from 5.8 to 1.5 seconds! Isn't that cute? :tongue:

Btw my 10-year old machine does it in 1.5 seconds, too. Excluding the \Masm32 folder on the new machine had zero effect.

Hi jj2007,

most importantly, are the buttons on your new laptop comfortable for you?  :thup:

hutch--

JJ,

One thing to do is get rid of the UAC, its a pain and its slow. You may be able to find some settings in the firewall to reduce the delay, the M$ AV generally works well and I have not run into that problem here so it sounds like you have just been lucky. If I want to do some serious AV scanning, I download the Kaspersky KVRT.EXE, run it then delete it. I now have all 4 computers updated to 21H2 so it should play any tricks on me.

jj2007

Quote from: LiaoMi on November 22, 2021, 08:46:08 PMare the buttons on your new laptop comfortable for you?  :thup:

Unfortunately not :sad:

You need too much force to press them, about twice as much as on my current Acer. Still, they are useful for dragging operations where you need to keep the left mouse key pressed. Which is not possible with the touchpad alone.

LiaoMi

Quote from: jj2007 on November 23, 2021, 01:22:29 AM
Quote from: LiaoMi on November 22, 2021, 08:46:08 PMare the buttons on your new laptop comfortable for you?  :thup:

Unfortunately not :sad:

You need too much force to press them, about twice as much as on my current Acer. Still, they are useful for dragging operations where you need to keep the left mouse key pressed. Which is not possible with the touchpad alone.

Hi jj2007,

on the old computer I also had very hard buttons, ergonomics suffered, and after that it is difficult to switch to soft buttons  :biggrin: You start pressing buttons as hard as my mom does  :tongue:

jj2007