News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Humour, I guess

Started by hutch--, December 02, 2021, 12:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

I had a pile of bits turn up today from AliExpress, a Xeon E5-2666v3 (10 core 2.9 gig to 3.5 gig) which I will have a play with when I get time, a pile of screws as I got tired of ratting through old ones and 2 x TPM 2.0 modules.

I went to put them into the two Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 boards but they both had something different in the location that the older X99 SLI board had and there is no way to insert a TPM 2.0 module into either of them. Both support secure boot and OS virtualisation but no TPM module.

The old board now has the first TPM 2.0 module which is recognised by the BIOS and now the only thing stopping it for upgrading to Win 11 is the CPU is too old. Seems like I will just have to suffer in silence with Win10.  :tongue:

I have seen very late Broadwell CPUs that are 10 core extreme editions that have default 3 gig and 3.5 turbo standard and apparently they will safely clock at 4 gig so if I have some money to waste in the future, I may grab one as the price will only go down. No mad hurry though.

HSE

Quote from: hutch-- on December 02, 2021, 12:12:30 AM
there is no way to insert a TPM 2.0 module into either of them

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: So many boards on desk!!
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

Funny enough Hector, I already have 3 of the 4 that I need and as the X99 Gigabyte boards are really hard to get, I opted for another Chinese board that seems to be OK, decent BIOS and enough accessories to be viable. Its testing up OK at the moment so I may have a reliable number 4.

I took the OS drive off the Atermiter board and used it to start the new one. Copied it to the NVME SSD and did not have to re-install anything in the OS.

The Atermiter board has been retired even though it works OK and I have retired a i7 4770k board which also worked well and I have 4 X99 socket 2011-3 boards that are now all working correctly. I might add that you get really tired of building hardware and configuring operating systems.

PS : 2 in one room, 2 in another.  :biggrin:

As an aside, even though I liked the PotPlayer for 4k video, the recent version have this random popup which rendered it close to useless so I hunted around and found Media Player Classic Black Edition and it was easy enough to configure it and the display quality is very good.