Author Topic: Tried a different Linux install, Centos  (Read 1301 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Tried a different Linux install, Centos
« on: January 06, 2022, 03:57:24 PM »
This looked like a good idea at the time but the install was so badly designed, it kept rejecting the installation USB and would not recognise the HDD so I gave up on it. Then found it was at its end of life at the end of 2021.

Installed Linux Mint Mate and it is just adding a mountain of updates. Something I have never got going was TightVNC which I would like to have working on Linux. Slimjet went in OK and works correctly and I will have to try my luck with the Samba server as I need to access the Linux box from Win10.

Mate looks OK, I started to dislike Cinnamon and I hope Mate is a bit more usable. Of late the Linux distros are looking a bit rough around the edges, what I would really like is a robust Linux version without SUDO which I dislike.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Greenhorn

Re: Tried a different Linux install, Centos
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 04:55:33 PM »
> Something I have never got going was TightVNC which I would like to have working on Linux.

This doesn't work for you ?
https://linuxhint.com/installing_vnc_server_linux_mint/
Kole Feut un Nordenwind gift en krusen Büdel un en lütten Pint.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 05:56:01 PM »
Thats the one I have been crawling through. I have the vcnviewer working if you use you LAN id for each computer 192.168.1.??? but I have not got the vncserver working.
hutch at movsd dot com

Shintaro

• Thoughts create Realaties
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 09:14:37 PM »
I'm not familiar with Mint, but if you want name resolution, you will need to change the /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/hosts
https://www.looklinux.com/etchosts-vs-etcresolv-conf-in-linux/

I typically don't like apps changing my config files, because weird stuff happens and makes fault finding 10x longer. I'm from the early Slackware days, 1.0..I think..somewhere around the early 1990's anyway, rawwrite to floppies etc.

What is the result when you run:systemctl status vncserver
Cheers,
Craig
“Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable.”

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 07:54:14 PM »
I am old enough to remember Slackware being one of the best distros of its era. I am slowly getting there, installed 3 versions of Mint and the last and simplist one looks the best so far. I have so far installed Apache and it appears to have installed correctly, I have to go and hunt the config file location to set it up to work and I am still finding my around yet another Mint version but it has a reasonable looking text editor so when I have a bit more enthusiasm I will get that done.

Silly question, I am old enough (as well) to know the name Shintaro from a Japanese television series back when I was a kid (early 1960s) and I have never heard it anywhere else, did you get to watch that series whan you were a kid ?
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 05:45:34 AM »
Hi Hutch,

What are your impressions after installing CentOS ? It's a very solid operating system based on the RedHat Enterprise Linux code. Installing VNC in CentOS is not difficult.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 09:20:36 AM »
Hi Erol,

Yesterday was not my best after trying multiple distros, even tried Fedora server but after trying multiple distros, the old 2tb HDD I was trying to install on had heat and other problems so I swapped it out for another and installed a lightweight version of Linux Mint 20.2 that is running correctly. Much less clutter than with the Cinnamon version.

I have installed Apache on it but have not configured it yet, seems to have an OK text editor so once I find my way around the installation that will get done. The box is big enough to not worry about the UI overhead, a 12 core Xeon and I reused 32 gig of memory that I had left over and the can will handle about 5 HDDs.

On one earlier test install, I could get the VNC viewer to work viewing Win10 boxes but have not yet got the vnc server to work. Problem is most of the technical data I can find on the internet is out of date and for much earlier versions of Mint.

The target for a linux box that I am after is an Apache server, working VNC both in and out, reasonably large storage for the server and as a viable Linux box to run specifically Linux software. If I can successfully run it remotely as I can do with any of the Win10 boxes, I can intergrate it into the network I have up and running.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »
I had to give up on it as the hardware was unreliable. Its a relatively new Atermiter board with very low hours on it but even with a new cmos battery, the BIOS was unreliable and I had to keep setting the boot order. Sad to say I lose what I wanted it for, a Linux server with Apache2, and a VNC that worked. What I may do as the Huananzhi board X99 box is working perfectly with current Win10, is install Apache2 on it and The TightVNC works perfectly.

I hate things that waste my time.  :thdn:
hutch at movsd dot com

mikeburr

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 01:51:48 AM »
sorry to hear of your linux problems Hutch
  your server type machines are prob similar to my Dell machines and the best distros ive tried [ and ive tried quite a few] are
   CENTOS 7 & 8  these should work pretty well though you are going to have to make a series of modifications to the libraries to get the flavour of linux you want
    sadly IBM purchased Red Hat for 31 billion a few years ago and have now decided not to support Centos further though there are step ins Alma and Rocky linux being 2
    though ive not tried them  Centos also did a server version which is very good and widely used [causing much angst when IBM dropped Red Hat to Centos support .. incidentally a mistake in my view though if youre prepared to pay 300 or so dollars a year Red Hat is prob the best distro ]
  Whatever Linux it wd seem that you choose you are prob having to do a lot of work to get it to work as you want  .. which often means searching on the web for a solution or finding it yourself .. example Wine can often be difficult !! though a few issues seem to be clearer now
    Mint is a Ubuntu derivative but is very windows like  the trouble is that they are not stable like Centos  as they are quite frequently updated
   at the other end of the update spectrum is Opensuse Tumbleweed .. opensuse is pretty good in its own right .. the tumbleweed a rolling update version is interesting as you are pretty much on the leading edge of linux yet its updates dont seem to affect the use much .. they are prob fairly well tested and i  reall that the os backs out of stuff it cant run ..making it seem more stable than it prob is

im very surprised you had USB issues with Centos though i did notice that the laptop i had didnt fair well on usb with any linux [old Lenovo ] so if the machine hibernated it wdnt then recognise external usb devices .. corrected by plugging the usb device into a different slot  but totally unacceptable !!!

basically the Linux OS are developed on an ad hoc basis with user testing and reporting being the key method of furthering the OS .. unfortunately so many times you see the same  old [previous] errors recurring in new versions of the distros which indidcates a very Amateur and prob cavalier approach to development management
further
if you are a software user many of the programs available are rather basic .. or are cut down versions donated by large developers ... on the whole it shd be good for server management .. and very basic web usage ..development is improving but prob the major provider of    a decent GUI QT have very unfriendly license requirements .. GTK is very crude but prob intelligible and maybe preferable to decent programmers ...
i dont suppose this is much help though
regards mike b

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 02:06:05 AM »
Hi Mike,

I think CentOS is end of life, Fedora looked OK and it even installed OK but would not run. I think it was a hardware problem, one disk overheated so I changed it then the BIOS on the board became unreliable so I have just given up on it for the moment. Something I would olve to get rid of is "sudo". The permissions nearly drive me nuts.
hutch at movsd dot com

mikeburr

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 03:11:50 AM »
yes Centos is end of life as stated .. the two standins being touted as the os to move onto [Alma is backed by a fairly large software company ]
im very surprised you are having hardware  related issues.. personally  ive not experienced this ever in the 20 or so distros ive tried  including Fedora or derivatives  which was Ok
not that this helps
 sudo is the administrative procedure that stops people f... your machine easily and is prob one reason why most operating systems in use today are linux [ thyre andriod which is a linux flavour and not much different from the things youve been testing ]
i cd understand if youd had problems with the software managers such as YUM on the centos system
these are directed at "Safe" packages  known to generally function with the OS .. this doesnt limit you from downloading from other repository's but you then have to run a library function to update the software catalogue .. such as  updatedb and placing the newly arrived software on the equivalent of the start list lhs of say win7 is a bit of a game sometimes
I think it isnt for the faint hearted  and it sounds like you havent got enough time at present to invest in getting to grips with linux as its certainly got its oddities
regards mike b

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 04:48:45 AM »
It seems the Atermiter board, even with very low hours on it was faulty and I did not have another board to replace it with so I abandoned it. As a barbarian, I installed an Apache2 server on one of my Win10 boxes (one in another room) and have been testing what you can put on it. Normal stuff is fine, just files but interestingly enough, I have have copied 4k video to the "htdocs" directory of Apache2 and can play them from a calling box just using a browser. A 1 gigabit LAN is easily fast enough to play 4k MP4s.

I do like the Apache2 server, no PHP or MariaDB, just a server which is useful with just the Apache file listing to download or run whatever I like.

RE : The Linux versions, Fedora looked interesting, CentOS is finished and Mint runs OK but its harder to decrap than win10. I still class Mint as a bit rough around the edges and a bit fragile. Load an Nvidia driver in it and on boot you get a massive amount of crap going past.
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 04:57:08 AM »
Hi Hutch,

CentOS was very good. Too bad to face such an end. Oracle Linux is another RHEL based distribution similar to CentOS.