Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Fixed Point Demo

Started by FORTRANS, March 12, 2015, 04:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nidud

deleted

rrr314159

Well, FOTRANS, I see you have a specific purpose for your program and so suggestions may be superfluous. But to address a couple points,

The F1 help seems obviously useful, for instance to explain which cursor keys do what. E.g. home centers the cursor, while end does nothing - this is not intuitively obvious.

A common situation with me, I use registers to hold real numbers (particularly with 64-bit) and the debugger gives the hex readout which I must translate in my head to the real number. It would be useful to enter that hex number and see the bits spelled out, the mantissa and exponent would be that much more obvious. Of course would be much better to actually translate to the real number. I have written little utility progs to do such, but seems they're never handy when needed. Well, doing it mentally is good exercise.

In general, I like to get max bang out of screen real estate. When anything is displayed but not active I ask myself if some useful, intuitive function could be assigned to clicking on (or, navigating to) it, or pressing keys when it has the focus, etc.

I meant to say "DOS-style" program, but in fact should have said "Windows console". As opposed to "Windows window" program. In a console program one issues CLS and redraws everything, and there is no opportunity for display refresh synch'ing or double-buffering - I think. As I said I've never looked into it, all my serious efforts have been Windows window progs; with them you can eliminate flicker entirely.

Yes, on my machine the flicker is definitely there and it would be better not to redraw for the movement keys. But, certainly if it doesn't bother you that's the end of it.

c u later,
I am NaN ;)

nidud

deleted

FORTRANS

Hi,

Okay, I am going to synch up the two programs, and apply the
change of logic for the flickering.  I will play with the help a bit.
And anything else that comes to mind.

I looked at nidud's console resizing code.  Interesting, but not
this time for me.  Unless someone thinks it important,  It does not
seem to do anything when full screen, where I use the program.
Thanks for the example.

I will do the four bit movement.  What keys to use?  Tab and
backspace?  That seems a bit far apart.  Period and comma?  I was
going to reinstate those for simple movement in the 32:32 version.
Should the four bit hop be relative to the current bit or absolute to
top or bottom of the nybble? 

Cheers,

Steve N.

rrr314159

resizing - no, not unless u put a lot more stuff on the screen later on

nibble move - PgUp PgDn makes most sense, and since those are used elsewhere not worth the bother! Arrow up/down is possible, but ... like I say, prob not worth the bother. 4 hop relative to current it or top/bot of nibble - hmmm ... Relative to current seems most sensible, or else beginning of nibble, close call

flicker - that's the important thing, because it's a general problem with any console prog. As you put more stuff on the screen it would become overwhelming. I've been writing some console utilities (for the first time) and will be interested in how flicker is handled myself
I am NaN ;)

FORTRANS

Hi,

Okay, here are the new versions.  Help has two lines now.  I
hope they make enough sense.  Hit F1 twice.  Code was made
comparable for the two versions.  They should work the same
now.  Added move by four logic.  I changed the code to minimize
flicker.  Since I don't see much flicker, I guess feedback from
someone who does see it, to see if it actually helps any.

Regards,

Steve N.

Gunther

Hi Steve,

works fine here under Windows 7-64.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

FORTRANS

Quote from: Gunther on March 26, 2015, 04:34:57 AM
Hi Steve,

works fine here under Windows 7-64.

Gunther

Hi Gunther,

Thank you.

The LHC is supposed to be coming online soon.  Does that
affect you?

Cheers,

Steve

Gunther

Hi Steve,

Quote from: FORTRANS on March 27, 2015, 12:01:15 AM
   The LHC is supposed to be coming online soon.  Does that
affect you?

Cheers,

Steve

yes, I've to go to Geneva next week.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.