News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Hutch's Memorial Section discussions

Started by stoo23, May 09, 2024, 10:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoo23

Figured I may as well 'Kick this Off' by starting a dedicated 'thread' for the purpose and as I had already created this Sub-Forum, figured it as good as anywhere.

:thumbsup:

jj2007

I am not so convinced of creating a code mausoleum for Hutch. That risks to give a wrong message: "look how our guru coded 20 years ago". A code museum.

Hutch's code and ideas are present all over the place. The Masm32 SDK will most likely never be touched again: it's his single most important code legacy. If he had lived longer, the Masm64 SDK would have assumed that role, too.

His real legacy, however, is that he raised assembly programming from a rarely practiced clumsy exotic nerd hobby (see \Masm32\examples\exampl07\slickhuh\slickhuh.asm) to a modern, elegant standard Windows programming environment. And, of course, that he created a forum where this environment is being actively used and developed.

stoo23

Just looking at the Current layout of the forum, perhaps the Members Gallery could be an appropriate section to create a Memorial section.
Not specifically in the Showcase section but a newly created section ??

Obviously, am Open to suggestions regarding this  :smiley:

NoCforMe

Just occured to me--instead of the slightly morbid "memorial", how about calling it (wherever it ends up being put)

Hutch's Legacy

meaning what he has passed on to us, the still living ...
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

stoo23

QuoteHutch's Legacy
Yep, sure. Sounds fine to me  :thumbsup:

stoo23

Perhaps much like what I have been discussing with Erol and Manos' Son John, it may be nice to create a Web page, that can be linked to, that simply details Their History, work and interactions / creations within the world of programming and languages etc,.. so Not a Code 'Mausoleum' as such, but a Celebration ? or at least Record of their work / life etc ??

Vortex

Hi Stewart,

QuotePerhaps much like what I have been discussing with Erol and Manos' Son John, it may be nice to create a Web page, that can be linked to that simply details Their History, work and interactions / creations within the world of programming and languages etc,..

Very good idea :thumbsup: John could provide details about the work of his father Manos.

stoo23

QuoteJohn could provide details about the work of his father Manos.
Yes  :smiley:  I expressed similar to him in my last message to him.