News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

How to test and run assembly programs without Visual Studio

Started by RedSkeleton007, September 11, 2015, 12:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSkeleton007

I'm sure most of you have heard of Microsoft Visual Studio. It's a very nice IDE, but the installation DVD costs $500+, and even though dreamspark is supposed to give students the option of downloading it for free, I haven't been able to successfully install it, even though I tried 25+ times. I did, however, install a free 30-day trial of Visual Studio at one point, but that trial ended months ago, and it will no longer let me compile or run any of my code or projects.

Despite that, when I tried to run a simple program in your famous masm32 assembler, my computer tried opening up Visual Studio (and of course, my trial expired, so I didn't get a chance to view the output of my program). This is getting annoying. Can someone please tell me where I can get a free IDE that will compile, run, and output the results of masm programs WITHOUT Visual Studio?

anta40

Why would you need VS to compile MASM programs?
The MASM32 SDK is sufficient.

hutch--

Uninstall the trial copy of VC then install MASM32 and set your file associations to QE with the ".asm" extension.

TouEnMasm

Visual Studio community is free and give you access to vc,VB and more..

With Windows 10 I have VS2015.
VC come all with it is needed  (there is a resource editor added for free),sdk,ddk,..
To build asm program just put jwasm in the binary (bin) directory for 32 bits or 64 bits.
Then use one the batch:
   call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64\vcvars64.bat"
All is free and for old version of Windows there is also old version of vs downloadable (need a little search)
If you want to build mixed vc asm executable,it's the only choice you have.
Fa is a musical note to play with CL

jj2007

RedSkeleton007

Quote from: jj2007 on September 11, 2015, 04:25:56 AM
Don't toy around with Visual Crap, use RichMasm 8)
Well, I couldn't access RichMasm. When I tried clicking on the link (see the image in the attached zipped folder), it said:

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

I can't find the RichMasm folder in the masm32 folder either. Should I just put the Win32.hlp in the MasmBasic folder instead, or do I really need to re-download masm32 and start all over again in hopes that the masm32 I download will have a RichMasm in it the second time around?

zedd151

...masm32 I download will have a RichMasm in it...

RichMasm isn't part of the Masm32 sdk. You won't automatically find it there.

And imo, you don't really need it.

jj2007

Quote from: RedSkeleton007 on September 11, 2015, 08:20:50 AM
Quote from: jj2007 on September 11, 2015, 04:25:56 AM
Don't toy around with Visual Crap, use RichMasm 8)

I can't find the RichMasm folder in the masm32 folder either.

I was just joking. If you installed MasmBasic, version 9/11, it's here: \Masm32\MasmBasic\RichMasm.exe

QuoteShould I just put the Win32.hlp in the MasmBasic folder instead, or do I really need to re-download masm32 and start all over again in hopes that the masm32 I download will have a RichMasm in it the second time around?

If you want "select and hit F1" functionality in RichMasm, move it to \Masm32\RichMasm\Help\WIN32.HLP

RedSkeleton007

I uninstalled Visual Studio from my computer, but now, when I click file -> run program in Masm32 Editor, NO output is showing up! I'm having such a difficult fulfilling the directions at http://www.webalice.it/jj2006/Masm32_Tips_Tricks_and_Traps.htm.

hutch--

Is it a console mode app you are trying to run ? If so run it from the command prompt.

jj2007

Either use RichMasm (an intelligent editor that recognises a console app and knows that the window must stay open), or put an inkey before exit.

TWell

Visual Studio Express is free.
PellesC IDE have debugger too :t here

RedSkeleton007

Quote from: hutch-- on September 11, 2015, 03:18:31 PM
Is it a console mode app you are trying to run ?
Interesting. By default, Visual Studio displayed the program's output into the console by default. I wish Masm32 Editor would do that from the get go. How do I get it to do that?

Quote from: hutch-- on September 11, 2015, 03:18:31 PM
If so run it from the command prompt.
What commands must I type into the command prompt to make that happen?

Quote from: jj2007 on September 11, 2015, 04:22:26 PM
Either use RichMasm (an intelligent editor that recognises a console app and knows that the window must stay open),
Again, I don't think I have the full fledged RichMasm in my masm32 package for some bizarre annoying reason. The only RichMasm related thing I have is in the screen shot image I attached to this post in a zipped folder. If you have a latest version of the masm32 sdk package with the RichMasm content I'm supposed to have, please provide or point me to it. By the way, can you also tell me how I can place inline images in my posts?

Quote from: jj2007 on September 11, 2015, 04:22:26 PM
or put an inkey before exit.
What do you mean by that? Am I supposed to add the masm reserved word inkey somewhere in my code in the Masm32 editor?

Quote from: TWell on September 11, 2015, 06:05:06 PM
Visual Studio Express is free.
PellesC IDE have debugger too :t here
Thanks, but it seems from the description that it's only for C. How do you know that it also compiles masm too?

TouEnMasm

The inkey is a macro of the masm32 package who use the crt getch function.

Two soluce ,use the masm32.lib and the macro inkey (include macros.asm)

or
inludelib msvcrt.lib (vc lib)
declare the "_getch PROTO C"
then:
invoke _getch  ;the dos prog wait for a keyboard key and the black screen is always visible.

Fa is a musical note to play with CL

pcMike

Quote from: RedSkeleton007 on September 12, 2015, 02:31:22 AM
What commands must I type into the command prompt to make that happen?

You would first use the CD (Change Directory) command to select the project folder, and then type the name of the executable. So if your project is located in c:\fubar and is named fubar.asm, then after you perform the "Console Assemble and Link" command in Qeditor, you could run it by typing:

cd\fubar
fubar

I like the inkey method better though.

Regards,  Mike