News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

MASM in VC++ 2010

Started by Hazique35, April 05, 2013, 03:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazique35

Hi, I am very new to masm and I was wondering whether or not masm in VC++ 2010 would be the exact same as masm in the regular assembler. also, there seems to be a lot of include files in some code that I have seen. Do these always have to be there because I have looked around a bit and its always there. Cant masm be assembled without these?

thanks

TouEnMasm

there seems to be a lot of include files in some code that I have seen. Do these always have to be there

The number of include files depends of what you are doing.
Fa is a musical note to play with CL

Vortex

QuoteCant masm be assembled without these?

Without include files, programming with Masm would be difficult.

Hazique35

Thanks for the replies. Now is there any difference  in coding when using VC++ 2010 as the IDE? This is all I really want to know because it would be a lot easier to find tutorials if it were the same.

thanks.

jj2007

Quote from: Hazique35 on April 05, 2013, 03:33:30 AMthere seems to be a lot of include files in some code that I have seen.

Negligible compared to what you have to include for a "hello world" in C/C++. All you really need is one line:

include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc
.code
start:   MsgBox 0, "Hello World", "Masm32 is simple:", MB_OK
         exit
end start

Re VC, it's an overkill. Most of us use something "leaner", like RadAsm, EasyCode, qEditor or even Notepad.
And the documentation you are looking for is in \Masm32\Help.

See also Masm32 tips & tricks to get started.

P.S.: Welcome to the Forum :icon14:

Magnum

Quote from: Hazique35 on April 05, 2013, 05:07:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. Now is there any difference  in coding when using VC++ 2010 as the IDE? This is all I really want to know because it would be a lot easier to find tutorials if it were the same.

thanks.

I have used the VC++ ide and it's a friggin nightmare.

And you can expect it's output to be about 15 times larger than assembly code.

I would recommend using Qeditor and it's many features.

Andy
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Hazique35

Thanks everyone, ill try out the other editors

Hazique35

Hello again, Ive downloaded RadAsm and I really like it. Its got syntax highlighted where VC++ didnt which is a plus, but Im confused on how to run the program. I know that I have to save the file, but where? I saved the file in the 'My Documents' folder and an error popped up saying: "cannot open the file, .exe" How is a typical program run in this IDE.

thanks again