Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

sdkddkver.inc

Started by markallyn, June 18, 2023, 02:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markallyn

Hello everyone,

I am working with Hutch's original 64 bit SDK.  I have run into a problem which I can't solve.  The original batch of Hutch includes is lacking two headers, winapifamily.inc and sdkddkver.inc.  From Windows Kits 10 I was able to get a copy of each .h file.  Using h2incx tool I was able to convert winapifamily.h lto its .inc relatie.  Not so sdkddkver.inc.  h2incx mangles some lines and the assembler fails. 

So...
1.  Is there a replacement for h2incx that I can obtain, or
2.  Does Hutch's newer SDK contain include files that has the necessary .inc files?

Any suggestions are welcome!

regards,
Mark Allyn

HSE

Hi Mark,

Biterider translation:

https://github.com/ObjAsm/ObjAsm-C.2/blob/master/Code/Inc/Windows/sdkddkver.inc

Regards, HSE
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

markallyn

Good evening HSE,

Thanks much! I would never have found this without your assistance.

Mark

markallyn

Good morning HSE,

I attempted to assemble a trivial program now using Biterider's SDKDDKVER.INC.  The command I use is:
ml64 /c mbox3.asm.

The following set of errors get kicked out:

undefined symbol :_MSC_VER
undefined symbol : Defined
invalid character in file (line 24)
cannot open file : excpt.inc

The last named error looks to me like there is another missing .inc in the original Hutch include file.  I looked at line 24 and can't see anything wrong.  _MSC_VER is a standard macro that the OS should know, I think.  BTW I am running on a Win 11 box.

Regards,
Mark Allyn

zedd151

Hi Mark,
I don't know about _MSC_VER..

But from the link that HSE gave you, you can see other include files including excpt.inc

https://github.com/ObjAsm/ObjAsm-C.2/blob/master/Code/Inc/Windows
It might help if you tell us about your programming environment.  What editor or IDE are you using? What assembler and linker versions?
Could you post or attach your source code?

markallyn

HSE and Zedd:

I wrote a little c program to see if my Win 11 box knows what to do with _MSC_VER.  It does indeed know.  The pgm prints out 1930 which is the correct version number.

The specific print statement is:

printf("The version number is %d\n", _MSC_VER);

Regards,
Mark Allyn

jj2007

Quote from: markallyn on June 18, 2023, 10:18:29 PM
undefined symbol :_MSC_VER
Knowing it now, you can try _MSC_VER=1930 in your assembly code, to "solve" that error...

Quotecannot open file : excpt.inc
... but most likely other errors will pop up because an entire file is missing.

Quote_MSC_VER is a standard macro

It's a simple equate of the form _MSC_VER equ 1930 or _MSC_VER=1930. They serve to decide which "code branch" to take; check what it does inside the include files. Typically, you'll find something like

if _MSC_VER ge 1900
  mov eax, 123  ; just an example
else
  mov eax, 456
endif

Here is a selection from WinNT.h:
#if _MSC_VER >= 1200/#pragma warning(push)
#if _MSC_VER >= 1300/#define TYPE_ALIGNMENT( t ) __alignof(t)
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1200) && !defined(MIDL_PASS)/#define DECLSPEC_NORETURN __declspec
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1200) && !defined(MIDL_PASS)/#define DECLSPEC_NOTHROW __declspec(
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1300) && !defined(MIDL_PASS)/#define DECLSPEC_ALIGN(x) __declspec
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1100) && defined (__cplusplus)/#define DECLSPEC_UUID(x) __declsp
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1100) && defined(__cplusplus)/#define DECLSPEC_NOVTABLE __declspe
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1100)/#define DECLSPEC_SELECTANY __declspec(selectany)
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1210)/#define NOP_FUNCTION __noop
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1200) && (defined(_M_ALPHA) || defined(_M_AXP64))/#define DECLSPEC_
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1300)/#define DECLSPEC_NOINLINE __declspec(noinline)
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1200)/#define FORCEINLINE __forceinline
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1300) && !defined(MIDL_PASS)/#define DECLSPEC_DEPRECATED __declsp
#if (_MSC_VER >= 800) || defined(_STDCALL_SUPPORTED)/#define NTAPI __stdcall
#if 0 && (_MSC_VER > 1000)/#define DECLARE_HANDLE(name) struct name##__; typedef str
#if _MSC_VER >= 1200/#pragma warning(pop)
#if _MSC_VER >= 1300/#define RotateLeft32 _rotl
#endif /* _MSC_VER >= 1300 *//#ifdef __cplusplus
#if (_MSC_VER > 1200)/#define DEFAULT_UNREACHABLE default: __assume(0)
#if (_MSC_FULL_VER >= 140040816) || (defined(_PREFAST_) && (_MSC_VER >= 1400))/#def
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1400)/#define UnsignedMultiply128 _umul128

It's also used in some Masm32 headers, see below.

C3

I cheated little. And asked ChatGPT

QuoteWhich Windows API header contains _MSC_VER define?

And AI answered....

QuoteThe _MSC_VER define is not contained in a specific Windows API header. It is actually a preprocessor macro defined by the Microsoft C/C++ compiler (MSVC) to indicate the version of the compiler being used.

The _MSC_VER define is typically used to conditionally compile code based on the version of the MSVC compiler. It is often used in combination with other defines, such as _WIN32 or _WIN64, to conditionally include or exclude specific sections of code based on the target platform and compiler version.

To use _MSC_VER in your code, you can include the <Windows.h> header file, which is a common header for Windows API programming. However, note that _MSC_VER is not specific to Windows API headers and can be used in any C or C++ code compiled with MSVC.

I'm using Visual Studio as my IDE, and it gets usually newer version on every patch tuesday.

HSE

Hi Mark,

Quote from: markallyn on June 18, 2023, 11:21:57 PM
to see if my Win 11 box knows what to do with _MSC_VER.  It does indeed know.

ObjAsm includes are a full set, then could be not totally interchangable with Masm64 SDK. They are newer and conserve more of the complexity for a compiler. Then some includes are a problem for ML64, because that. That set work perfectly with UASM32 and UASM64 (and laters JWASM 15 and 16,IIRC).

Obviously if you need to adapt an include for ML64, is very easier from Biterider's ones than from originals.

Regards, HSE

zedd151

Quote from: C3 on June 18, 2023, 11:36:04 PM
it gets usually newer version on every patch tuesday.
:rolleyes:  That doesn't inspire confidence, and it is quite unappealing.  :tongue:
Anyway, I am 'assuming' the OP is using VisualStudio IDE as well?

Quote from: HSE on June 18, 2023, 11:49:31 PM
Obviously if you need to adapt an include for ML64, is very easier from Biterider's ones than from originals.
Regards, HSE
Sound advice. Most likely some includes will need to be manually tweaked.

HSE

Quote from: zedd151 on June 18, 2023, 11:50:36 PM
Sound advice.

:biggrin: :biggrin: ChatHSE, the true AI (Amazing Ignorance)

jj2007

The _MSC_VER equate (it's an equate, not a macro) intrigued me, so I investigated a bit.

There is no #define _MSC_VER in any of the VC header files. The reason is that the compiler itself defines the equate, invisible to the programmer:
QuoteOzkan Sezer - 2012-04-03
_MSC_VER is defined by MS Visual C compiler to identify itself. You aren't supposed to define _MSC_VER by yourself, and most definitely not when using gcc.

So you are free to define it in Assembly code as you like, or, more precisely, according to what kind of code you want to use in your programs. Check the various if (_MSC_VER ge nnnn) paragraphs, example from \Masm32\include\DX9Includes\d3dx9.inc:

if (_MSC_VER ge 1200)
   D3DXINLINE equ __forceinline
else
   D3DXINLINE equ __inline
endif

C3

QuoteThe _MSC_VER equate (it's an equate, not a macro) intrigued me, so I investigated a bit.

There is no #define _MSC_VER in any of the VC header files. The reason is that the compiler itself defines the equate, invisible to the programmer:

I tried to find it from the C++ header files, and there isn't none (only if..endif, to choose branching). Looks like its a internal macro for the C++ compiler where it states what version it is, allowing conditional compiling.

HSE

Quote from: jj2007 on June 19, 2023, 09:11:14 PM

:thumbsup:

I read just some days ago that there is some problems because VS select things of compilation environment. Some programs can fail in a different environment. No paid to much attention  :biggrin:

In Biterider's includes _MSC_VER is defined:

Code (...\ObjAsm\ObjAsm-C.2\Code\Inc\Windows/WinAsm.inc) Select
  _MSC_VER                  equ   1900                  ;Major & minor number of C compiler's version number
  _MSC_FULL_VER             equ   190024210

https://github.com/ObjAsm/ObjAsm-C.2/blob/master/Code/Inc/Windows/WinAsm.inc#L213

jj2007

_MSC_VER raises its ugly head also in some Masm32 include files, for example in \Masm32\include\DX9Includes\d3dx9.inc:
ifndef D3DXINLINE
ifdef _MSC_VER
if (_MSC_VER ge 1200)
D3DXINLINE equ __forceinline
else
D3DXINLINE equ __inline
endif
else
ifdef __cplusplus
D3DXINLINE equ inline
else
D3DXINLINE equ 1
endif
endif
endif

Now the odd thing is that these are the only lines where D3DXINLINE shows up. In other words: it's never being used. It is a conversion artefact. C/C++ programmers may have a use for it (inlining yes or know?), Assembly programmers don't.

For comparison, check BaseTsd.INC (no idea where I got that from, maybe this post by ToutEnMasm - it's not a Masm32 include):

if 0 eq defined(_MAC) AND (defined(_M_MRX000) OR defined(_M_AMD64) OR defined(_M_IA64)) AND (_MSC_VER ge 1100) AND  0 eq (defined(MIDL_PASS) OR defined(RC_INVOKED))