Main Menu

Hi I am new to the MASM community I am looking to learn m64

Started by SkylerAk, July 04, 2023, 03:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylerAk

I was inspired by a video I watched:
youtube.com/watch?v=AQERQd4RreA
I think his demo was inspired by:
codeproject.com/Articles/1190931/Direct-X-and-Pure-Assembly-Language-Doing-What-Can
I checked out the project and was inspired by how cool it was, it didn't build on my system but after following the procedures in his follow up video tutorial:
youtube.com/watch?v=aw6L6feBKrc&t=217s
I was able to successfully get it to build!

I am now looking to learn more about m64 (I would learn m32 as I have heard it is easier but I think in the long run it may be deprecated)
I have taken a look at the intel programming guide volume 2(a) and have programmed with directx in the past but I want to learn more about assembly and setting up a nice workflow for it

I also do not have much experience with batch programs or cmd.exe so I personally would use MS VS community but am looking for other options suggested by community members
Documentation on m64 seems to be quite lacking on MSDN, any good resources by community members on alternatives would be greatly appreciated

I guess my 4 main questions are:
1. Good starter projects, even something basic like writing out hello world to console subsystem, and resources to accomplish that task
2. Better documentation on x86 that is FREE (I know there is a book linked, I know it is a good resource but I am not sure about spending $40 on it right now)
3. Suggestions for programming environment
4. Documentation on m64 especially preproccessors

any replies are appreciated cheers!  :biggrin:
Hello World!

zedd151

Welcome to The Masm Forum, nice to meet you.   :thumbsup:

zedd

SkylerAk

Thanks zedd, btw I read the pinned thread but I am not sure how to set pfp or url can you help me out? TY in advance :D
Hello World!

SkylerAk

Hello World!

zedd151

Ah, okay. Your avatar....   :biggrin:
And your "Hello World"...  :tongue:

For some examples in Masm64 you can look through the posts here:
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?board=54.0
by Mikl__ He has some tutorials there. I usually only work with Masm32...

Caché GB

Hi SkylerAk

If you like watching videos, here is one for you.

https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=10837
Caché GB's 1 and 0-nly language:MASM

SkylerAk

Hello World!

SkylerAk

Quote from: Caché GB on July 04, 2023, 03:56:29 PM
Hi SkylerAk

If you like watching videos, here is one for you.

https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=10837

I already checked out your video earlier even posted a reply in your youtube comments, super impressive stuff!
Hello World!

jj2007

Hi SkylerAk,

Check first the Masm64 SDK board. Once you have installed the SDK, preferably to ?:\Masm64 (?=C, D, ...Z), there will be plenty of examples in \Masm64\Examples

You can use ?:\Masm64\qeditor.exe to build these examples, or use the batch files supplied.

Don't hesitate to ask for help if you are stuck. We need such feedback to make the process simpler.

Welcome to the forum :thup:

Vortex

Hi SkylerAk,

Welcome to the Forum. Here is a quick console example for you. It displays the traditional hello world message :

include \masm64\include64\masm64rt.inc

.data

string db 'Hello world!',0

.code

entry_point PROC

invoke  StdOut,ADDR string

invoke  ExitProcess,0

entry_point ENDP

END

HSE

Quote from: SkylerAk on July 04, 2023, 03:23:09 PM
I was inspired by a video I watched:
youtube.com/watch?v=AQERQd4RreA

:thumbsup: That also build without problems (ASM)

Quote from: SkylerAk on July 04, 2023, 03:23:09 PM
4. Documentation on m64 especially preproccessors

You can find preprocessor information in old "Programmer's Guide Microsoft® MASM" because never changed.

A little obvious, Microsoft Macro Assembler reference is mostly about ml64.exe
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

SkylerAk

I got MASM up and running and am learning the syntax really fast, however I am trying to make system calls but when I run a system call it returns ffffffffh, I checked and I am not getting write access violation, I think it might be a security measure like security cookies, is there a specific way to ensure the linker implements security them  in my assembled code?
Hello World!

phyisio

Are yopu tring to make syscalls on windows10? I think the syscalls change with every new build of windows10 so you dont usually want to call them directly like on linux.

zedd151

Quote from: SkylerAk on July 05, 2023, 09:57:13 PM
I am trying to make system calls but when I run a system call it returns ffffffffh
It would help others to assist you if you posted at least the piece of code that is giving you problems, if not the full source code. This will aid in spotting any possible errors in the source code.