Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

MSDOS and Word for Windows 1.1a Source Code Available

Started by Shintaro, March 26, 2014, 07:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shintaro

Hi,

Thought it might be interesting that the source code for MSDOS and Word for Windows was released by Microsoft to the Computer History Museum.

http://www.computerhistory.org/_static/atchm/microsoft-ms-dos-early-source-code/
http://www.computerhistory.org/_static/atchm/microsoft-word-for-windows-1-1a-source-code/
"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

jj2007

QuoteWith the permission of Microsoft Corporation, the Computer History Museum is pleased to make available, for non-commercial use, the source code of Word for Windows version 1.1a as it was on January 10, 1991. This material is © Copyright by Microsoft.

The 7 MB zip file contains 1021 files in 33 folders.

WOW! At the time, 1991, my own modest wordprocessor had WYSIWYG, embedded graphs and loads of other features that I desperately missed when I was forced to switch to MS Word toward the end of the century ;-)

The fun part was the driver that sent combinations of formatted text and pixel graphs to the HP Laserjet. For an acceptable speed, I had to write it in 68000 assembler. The quality was good enough for publishing a book.

Below a screenshot. It still works, in an Atari emulator, although I would have to invest some time into the keyboard mapping...

hutch--

Downloaded the MS-DOS version just to have a look at the code and it looks pretty much like early Microsoft assembler code. Its probably a bit old but may be useful to those folks who want to craft an OS of their own. Its not in the same class as the much later MS_DOS 5.0 that someone long ago dumped a hot copy of on the internet but at least its well written.

dedndave

back in the day, i disassembled most of DOS versions 1.1 and 3.3 to see what made them tick
thing about DOS 1.1, it really doesn't ressemble later versions much, at all
it offered very minimal disk support - no directory trees at all
if i remember correctly, files did not have date and time stamps
of course, that made it fairly easy to take apart, too - lol

once DOS 2.0 came out, DOS 1.x was quickly a thing of the past
you'll find that some elements were essentially stolen from CP/M
for example, the DOS PSP strongly ressembles the CP/M equiv

Gunther

Jochen,

Quote from: jj2007 on March 26, 2014, 11:18:58 AM
The fun part was the driver that sent combinations of formatted text and pixel graphs to the HP Laserjet. For an acceptable speed, I had to write it in 68000 assembler. The quality was good enough for publishing a book.

the 68000 CPU has mighty instructions. It was a good processor. I think you had a lot of fun.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

FORTRANS

Hi,

Some interesting files supplied.  MASM version 1.10 for instance.
Some of the documentation and commented code might be useful.
Anyway it seems good for some light browsing through.  Thanks
for pointing it out.

Cheers,

Steve