News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Olly Debug Tutorial?

Started by Fred Harris, January 16, 2016, 08:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Harris

Does anyone know a good recomendation for one.  Only time I ever used a stepping debugger to any extent was years ago with TASM.  I forget a lot of the details.  Understanding what I'm seeing in disassembled code is one of my main goals in learning masm.  I downloaded Olly Debug, but the doc file with it isn't really a tutorial.  That's why I'm asking.  I did a search and found a lot of results, but most seemed geared towards fokks with nefarious ends, which isn't where I'm coming from.

fearless

Unfortunately there is probably a lot of tutorials related to doing specific things with olly and not so much as basic how to or overviews.

I did find a few tutorials that appear to be mostly covering the basics of usage, without getting into any specifics like you mentioned. Hopefully they might help:

Tutorial #2 : Intro To Olly Debug - http://octopuslabs.io/legend/blog/archives/31.html
Tutorial #3: Using OllyDBG, Part 1 - http://octopuslabs.io/legend/blog/archives/115.html
Tutorial #4: Using Olly, Part 2 - http://octopuslabs.io/legend/blog/archives/258.html

The rest of the tutorials listed are more specific and dont relate to general usage, but from looking at those three, they appear quite well documented and laid out, hopefully enough to get you started.

Some handy keys to remember:

Program

Program reset             Ctrl + F2
Close program             Alt + F2
Open EXE file             F3
Bring Olly to top         Alt + F5
Step into                 F7
Animate into              Ctrl + F7
Step over                 F8
Animate over              Ctrl + F8
Run program               F9
Execute till return       Ctrl + F9
Execute till user code    Alt + F9
Run trace into            Ctrl + F11
Stop execution            F12
Run trace over            Ctrl + F12
Stop anim. or tracing     Esc

Windows
Breakpoint window         Alt + B
CPU window                Alt + C
Modules window            Alt + E
Call stack window         Alt + K
Log window                Alt + L
Memory window             Alt + M
Patches window            Alt + P
Run Trace window          Alt + T
Quit Olly                 Alt + X
Maximize window           F5

Fred Harris

Thanks fearless.  That'll definitely get me started. 

jj2007

Fred,

Attached is the only manual I ever found. Most of the time I just use F7-F9, though :P

greenozon

Could anyone update the full 1-58 articles on Ollydbg from scratch please?
preferably in .chm format
in English
ideally with links to binaries that were used in the materials

sudoku

Quote from: greenozon on April 07, 2024, 05:48:45 PMCould anyone update the full 1-58 articles on Ollydbg from scratch please?
Specifically what 1-58 articles are you referring to?
The links posted by Mikl__ (years ago) all seem to be referencing "cracking" (otherwise known as reverse engineering) at least those in Spanish - Discussion of which is not allowed here.  :eusa_naughty:
:azn:

greenozon

I"m not going to discuss it, dont worry
I'm looking for fresh links that were given here years ago (2016) but for some reasons links are dead

jj2007

Quote from: greenozon on April 07, 2024, 05:48:45 PMCould anyone update the full 1-58 articles on Ollydbg from scratch please?

Excellent idea - go ahead, we always hoped a volunteer would show up one day :thumbsup: