News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

test a scalable server

Started by six_L, December 14, 2014, 01:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

six_L

how do test a scalable server which more than 1500000 connections will be established?
simulate for connecting,reading,writing and disconnecting.
Say you, Say me, Say the codes together for ever.

Tedd

Convince 1500 people to each connect to the server 1000 times...

Out of interest, are you expecting a single server to handle 1.5M connections? And for what task?
Potato2

six_L

hi,Tedd
thanks your response.
QuoteChapter 6: Scalable Winsock Applications continued
Table 6-3 I/O Method Performance Comparison

The server was a Pentium 4 1.7 GHz Xeon with 768 MB memory. Clients were established from three machines: Pentium 2 233MHz with 128 MB memory, Pentium 2 350 MHz with 128 MB memory, and an Itanium 733 MHz with 1 GB memory. The test network was a 100 MB isolated hub. All of the machines tested had Windows XP installed.
how did that?

Tedd

That image is far too small to read.
But, from the text, they used 3 machines and ran multiple clients on each machine.
However, 3 machines all connecting to the same server would not give you anywhere close to 1.5M connections.
Port numbers are 16-bit values, so each single machine can only make up to 65535 connections (assuming ports aren't reused, which they can't be when connecting to the same server.) So, with 3 machines, the absolute maximum connections you could hope for (unrealistically) is 3 x 65535 = 196605.
So for 1.5M connections, you'd need a minimum of 23 machines. More realistically, you'd want somewhat less than 65535 connections per machine, and so more machines.

Arguably, each machine could have more than one network device, and so each device could handle a further 65535 connections as long as each gets a distinct IP address, but the machine must still handle all of the connections in a timely manner.
Potato2

six_L

hi,Tedd.
:t
thanks your helps.
making a test simulator is not easy to a scalable server actually.