Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

PECompact

Started by LordAdef, May 15, 2017, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordAdef

Good Morning from South America Masm32!

It's Monday morning, a new week in Masm32..

I'd like to learn a bit about the "Pros/Cons" of using a tool such as PECompact. It's an interesting topic I guess for the week kick off.

Any opinions?

Cheers, Alex

jj2007

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/353634/are-there-any-downsides-to-using-upx-to-compress-a-windows-executable

Full of half correct and half wrong information, but a fairly good read, too.

Siekmanski

One of the best exe packers, no false positives from anti-virus software, as far as I know.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

mineiro

These tools envelope an exe file in a hope that reverse engineering will not be done. They are called packers.
pros:
they try to compress executable file, so final size is less than original, also string search on exe file will not be show, they hidde functions being called from your program.
cons:
Because they have been created to try to secure final program they can have malicious code that will be hard to find. Virus writers (persons that write programs with malicious intentions instead of good intentions) use this tool, not only business guys.
Understand that virus are not bad programs, they are just programs that replicate itself like happens on normal life. Programmer that have created virus yes, they are bad, they inserted malicious code on a program. Computer viruses have been born from one thesis university, create artificial life inside device, if my memory is good the thesis guy is from Europe.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

hutch--

I can recommend it, Jeremy Collake is an old friend of mine and a very clever guy. I have used PECompact for many years with all of my 32 bit MASM and PB software as it improves load time. Have never had any problems with AV using it where UPX is garanteed to drop AV alerts as its the virus writers favourite.

LordAdef

thanks guys,

concerning image size, is it still worth compressing my images, or I can rely on PECompact for the job?

Siekmanski

Some packers don't recognize image types like jpg and make them even bigger.
I don't have PECompact to test, but I bet Jeremy Collake takes care of pre-compressed parts in the exe files.

There is also an exe packer called Crinkler, this one is unbelievably good in crunching small apps such as intros.

www.crinkler.net

jj2007

Quote from: Siekmanski on May 16, 2017, 08:49:47 AMThere is also an exe packer called Crinkler, this one is unbelievably good in crunching small apps such as intros.

Looks interesting but...TMP_FILE.OBJ: error LNK: Cannot find symbol '_InitCommonControls@0'
TMP_FILE.OBJ: error LNK: Cannot find symbol '_HtmlHelpA@16'
MASMBASIC.LIB: error LNK: Cannot find symbol '_SysFreeString@4'

withOPT_DebugL /entry:start \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib \masm32\lib\user32.lib \masm32\lib\gdi32.lib \masm32\lib\ComDlg32.lib \masm32\lib\msvcrt.lib \masm32\lib\HtmlHelp.lib \masm32\lib\PsApi.lib \Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\tinf.lib \masm32\lib\Ole32.lib \masm32\lib\Shell32.lib \masm32\lib\Gdiplus.lib \masm32\lib\masm32.lib \Masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.lib

newrobert

Siekmanski

Try something like this,
crinkler rotatingcube.obj kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /ENTRY:start