News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

LookingFor: A Masm64 tool to find strings in files.

Started by HSE, May 01, 2024, 01:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSE

Hi all!!

This is a little tool with JJSearch tool general concept (also known as FindOnDisk), wich is a very useful tool with some limitations. I made the new tool following Hutch's style and can be integrated in Masm64 SDK if tests are successful.

In this case, tool is limited to ANSI strings, and will fail with very long name files or non latin characters in directory names. I have one of each in the programming disk, then I erased that little noise  :biggrin:

The file system exploration is a classical example from Masm32 SDK, obviously translated to 64 bits.

Boyer-Moore implementations are from Mineiro's code. A little modification was critical, because that implementation crash when file size is an exact multiple of page size (like probably happen in many others tools that fail in my disk).

Critics and suggestions are welcome  :thumbsup:

Regards, HSE.
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

HSE

Added update of targets list modifications between application instances running simultaneously.

Updated files in first post.

jj2007

Biterider

Hi HSE
Cool application. Tested the binary here without any problems.  :thumbsup:

Biterider

greenozon

Very interesting tool, thanks for your efforts HSE!
some feedback:

1) help button wanted to find .pdf file, is it available?
---------------------------
LookingFor:
Could not open LookingFor.pdf
OK 

2) I'd add some "Stop" button in case the end-user set some wide mask eg: "c:\"
the only way is to kill app then...

3) I tried to search some sample patterns (two) and after some time the app crashed
I've got crash dump in case of interest

https://prnt.sc/BFCNqFg2J3Tt    (Picture from VS opening crash dump)

HSE

Hi greenozon!

Quote from: greenozon on May 01, 2024, 08:09:05 PM1) help button wanted to find .pdf file, is it available?

Yes, in .zip with binary. In .zip with source there is a .tex file to build .pdf.

Quote from: greenozon on May 01, 2024, 08:09:05 PMthe only way is to kill app then...

Yes, that is the way  :thumbsup:

Quote from: greenozon on May 01, 2024, 08:09:05 PM3) I tried to search some sample patterns (two) and after some time the app crashed
I've got crash dump in case of interest

That is szappend function in m64lib. The most probable thing is that your disk have a long path, or an  Unicode name in a file or directory. Building in console subsystem and TRACKING_CRASH equ 1, will show files correctly accesed, then the problem is close to last one.

In C:\ is most probable to have long paths or unicode names. I can search 260 Gb in D:\ after remove one of each, but to search in C:\ need to be more specific.

Anyway, if you write unicode files everywhere, a so simple ASCII search will not work for you.

Thanks very much, HSE

HSE

greenozon

You are right,
I was scanning C:\tmp that has the hell amount of trash :)
and yeah - it has weird dir names even including emojis!

do you support that zoo?

HSE

Quote from: greenozon on May 02, 2024, 02:39:45 AMdo you support that zoo?

It's mostly a tool to assist programming. And the targets are very simple ASCII files.

Because I don't even have tabs in most files, I forgot that  :biggrin:

Updated in first post.

NoCforMe

Quote from: greenozon on May 01, 2024, 08:09:05 PMVery interesting tool, thanks for your efforts HSE!
some feedback:

2) I'd add some "Stop" button in case the end-user set some wide mask eg: "c:\"
the only way is to kill app then...
I second that emotion.

My own file-finder app runs the disk-scanning code in a separate thread with a "Cancel" button visible to stop things if they run too long. Very easy to implement.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

HSE

greenozon

Tried the fresh bits from 1st post
sometimes app exists (crashes? but no core dump) in case you press "Find" but not set base directory
https://prnt.sc/AS-Y42QDxHSb
Also if base dir is empty the "Cancel" button continues to be visible instead of "Find" as no operation was started...

HSE

Hi greenozon!

Quote from: greenozon on May 02, 2024, 06:44:22 PMsometimes app exists (crashes? but no core dump) in case you press "Find" but not set base directory
https://prnt.sc/AS-Y42QDxHSb

That it's weird. A message box open when no valid path (at least "\") or no validad file name (at least "*") is provided.

But I have to see because "\*" have to fail, but that work if first run "\*.*". Something remain in some buffer. Perhaps I will take some time and try to improve all path thing. 

Quote from: greenozon on May 02, 2024, 06:44:22 PMAlso if base dir is empty the "Cancel" button continues to be visible instead of "Find" as no operation was started...

Corrected  :thumbsup:

Thanks, HSE.

greenozon

Nice, nice! great progress :thumbsup:

but still hitting crash dumps sometimes, eg:

https://prnt.sc/Rl0sPvzGc7HS

HSE

Hi greenozon!

Quote from: greenozon on May 03, 2024, 05:02:28 PMbut still hitting crash dumps sometimes, eg:

:thumbsup:  Apparently that is an ASCII MessageBox with a Unicode string. A little more elaborated error processing is not working yet.

Updated in first post.

Thanks, HSE