News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

A little toy: Lissajous figure demo

Started by NoCforMe, August 16, 2023, 05:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

Here's a li'l something I cooked up more than a decade ago, at the point where I first learned to use the FPU. (Actually I didn't learn to use the FPU directly, but used Raymond's FPU library instead. Much slower, but in this case it doesn't matter at all.)

Source and all attached.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

HSE

Look like critical file "FTDengine" dropped.  :biggrin:
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

NoCforMe

Sorry, I had to re-upload the zip file--twice--because I forgot to include stuff. Pain in the butt keeping track of all the little files needed for a project you did >10 yrs. ago. Latest one should be complete ...

Biterider

Hi NoCforMe
Cool stuff, it reminds me of when I was a student (many years ago).

Quote from: NoCforMe on August 16, 2023, 05:51:09 AMused Raymond's FPU library

Raymond's FPU library is a great work. It helped me understand the internal working of the FPU much better than the old textbook I started assembly programming many years ago.

Biterider

NoCforMe

Quote from: Biterider on August 16, 2023, 06:06:20 AMHi NoCforMe
Cool stuff, it reminds me of when I was a student (many years ago).

So did you actually play with an oscilloscope back then? Unfortunately I never did that; would be tres cool to get a 'scope and a couple signal generators and look at the kewl patterns in the analog realm ...

(I have a scope--a friend gave me his old Tektronix 475. Now I just need to rig up a couple oscillators ...)

Biterider

Hi NoCforMe

Quote from: NoCforMe on August 16, 2023, 06:11:23 AMSo did you actually play with an oscilloscope back then?

Yes, I was very lucky in that respect. I had a physics teacher who was very talented and could really inspire his students with very little material.

Biterider

mineiro

I already played with a teknonix in a polytechnic school, 2 channels. School only had nerds, I was the ignorant one there. I forgot much of what I learned.
The project made was a simple bandpass, high or low pass. At the time I was more into square waves, digital electronics.
These days sometimes I play with ltspice, a great program.

Your program works fine in linux under wine.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

NoCforMe

Quote from: mineiro on August 16, 2023, 07:37:28 AMAt the time I was more into square waves, digital electronics.

You do realize, of course, that square waves are also squarely in the analog domain. (Pun intended)

Like how if you take a sine wave and keep adding odd-order harmonics to it you end up with ... a square wave. (I have a demo program for that, too. May post it later.)

BTW, it turns out that most "digital" electronics are actually analog; they just are set to generate or detect voltages that conform to "digital" specifications, more or less. In electronics, nothing is really digital.

QuoteThese days sometimes I play with ltspice, a great program.

Yes, I've played around with Ltspice a lot too. Actually used it to design actual (small) circuits that actually worked. (Not a very good design technique I'm told, BTW, but very helpful for a dummy like me.)

NoCforMe

Here's another educational toy I made that shows what happens when you add odd-order harmonics to a square wave. (I was really surprised when I first discovered this phenomenon.)

Hopefully I got all the bits and pieces in the .zip this time ...

mineiro

Oh yes, like cut the amplitude of a wave using some bandpass filter, I suppose it is rlc (resistance, capacitor and inductor), I really forgot, it starts to charge from a certain projected voltage to the peak voltage and after that it discharges in a give time, giving the impression that the voltage remains constant (a straight line) on the oscilloscope. I suppose so.

What was a failure in analog electronics turned into the creation of digital electronics, transistor (diodes) saturation.
I studied this 25 years ago as a teenager.

-----
I will test your other program now.  :thumbsup:

----edited-----
Yes, exactly this, very nice. Congratulations.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

daydreamer

Quote from: NoCforMe on August 16, 2023, 06:11:23 AMSo did you actually play with an oscilloscope back then? Unfortunately I never did that; would be tres cool to get a 'scope and a couple signal generators and look at the kewl patterns in the analog realm ...

(I have a scope--a friend gave me his old Tektronix 475. Now I just need to rig up a couple oscillators ...)
Get DA converters from printer port you could output fpu to your tektronix,unless you code a driver,you need to run it in dos
X/y mode you can code vector graphics
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding