A simple editor for the Masm32 and Masm64 SDKs and the UAsm/JWasm WinInc package

Started by jj2007, March 08, 2024, 01:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Welcome to SimpleEditor.exe, a dedicated lightweight editor for Assembly :thup:

- extract the attached SimpleEditor.zip to a folder on the same drive as your Masm32 installation
- hit F6 to build your first Windows project

Of course, to use the editor for assembling your sources, you need the Masm32 SDK.

If you have also the Masm64 SDK installed, you may use the "B" button to assemble 64-bit SDK code.

If you have also WinInc installed, preferably as [Masm32 drive]:\WinInc, you may use the "B" button to assemble 64-bit WinInc code. Make sure \Masm32\bin\uasm64.exe is present (download).

Before building the sample source WinIncGui4SE, you need to place the \WinInc\Include\UAsm64.init file attached in the second archive in its proper location. The other files can go anywhere in folder of the Masm32 drive.

You may use the attached Chinese.asm as a template for Utf8 files. Alternative, save your source in the default *.asc format, i.e. in Rich Text Format.

Feedback welcome :thup:

P.S., the legal stuff: use at your own risk; backup important sources.

jj2007

Version 3 attached above, with minor improvements. Inter alia, some non-translated messages are fixed, and the Language menu got improved. In case you know some of the more exotic languages (Chinese, Japanese, Arabic), please give me feedback via PM in case something can be improved. Thanks :thup:

One important improvement: if you use a Windows build, and there is an inkey or Inkey somewhere in your code, you'll get a message. The reason is that waiting for a keypress in a program that has no console is a really, really bad idea :cool:

learn64bit

who care about translated messages?
I only care about:
can it input, edit, search Chinese?
but no picture show that...

greenozon

@jj2007
feature request!
could you please add the version/trademark/etc info into binary properties please?

greenozon

Another report
you run SimpleEditor.exe
it opens up Open Dialog right away

you press cancel and looks like it's crashing?...
Expectations: show empty window, not close/crash...

greenozon

Another feature request (or bug report?)

if you try to open Recent Locations that points to .lnk  objects, the Editor opens up .lnk instead of following to destination dir/file!

eg:

Expectations:  .lnk are resolved to destination file objects!

NoCforMe

Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

jj2007

jj2007

Quote from: greenozon on March 09, 2024, 06:04:17 AMcould you please add the version/trademark/etc info into binary properties please?

Done :thumbsup:

Quote from: greenozon on March 09, 2024, 06:08:18 AMyou run SimpleEditor.exe
it opens up Open Dialog right away

you press cancel and looks like it's crashing?...
Expectations: show empty window, not close/crash...

Fixed - no more crashes, it will now simply exit.

This is a rare/unrealistic case btw: if you have the Masm32 SDK installed (and we expect all members to have it installed), SimpleEditor will open on first launch [your Masm32 drive]:\Masm32\examples\exampl01\qikpad\qikpad.asm

Quote from: greenozon on March 09, 2024, 06:19:34 AMif you try to open Recent Locations that points to .lnk  objects, the Editor opens up .lnk instead of following to destination dir/file!

Fixed :thumbsup:

Thanks, greenozon, for testing the program, and for your constructive feedback :thup:

learn64bit

create a .asm, then save it(default as 65001withoutBOM), open it

jj2007

Quote from: learn64bit on March 09, 2024, 11:08:06 AMcreate a .asm, then save it, open it

- load the WinIncGui4SE.asc attached to reply #7
- click the new file item, and choose a new name
- edit and save

Requires version 5 attached in the top post.

Thanks for your feedback, learn64bit - you made me discover a bug with the "save nonetheless" logic (SimpleEditor warns you if the edited text is shorter than the original text).

learn64bit

jj2007

Quote from: learn64bit on March 09, 2024, 11:27:11 AMansi?? not utf8?

The original file must already be in Utf8 or rtf/asc format - see attachment Chinese.zip on top of this post. You may call that a bug or a missing feature ;-)

greenozon

More questions, Unicode related
used latest build 5
BTW< thanks for embedding version info into exe!

1) I'm very impressed by Chinese symbols support
2) emoji are supported as well, but for some reason they are invisible
you have to select it in order to start seeing it...
eg:

jj2007

Quote from: greenozon on March 10, 2024, 12:46:36 AM2) emoji are supported as well, but for some reason they are invisible

I strongly suggest you use the rtf/asc format for emojis.