News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

HJWasm 2.26 release

Started by johnsa, April 12, 2017, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsa

I don't consider it "that" strange, if this was a funded professional venture, I wouldn't expect users to be compiling our regression tests for us, I would expect us to be able to release a new version on a less regular basis using a large set of generated test cases. Assuming users create test cases, they're definitely valuable but in terms of test coverage it's pretty poor waiting on something to go wrong and a case to be created for it.
(Note I did say to create a set of "ALL ENCOMPASSING" tests would be a massive effort.. as opposed to just a few specific cases).

Given that, it's all we have for now so I agree we should catalog all the ones we get in.

For example what we should have is a test-library of every imaginable combination of PROC, arguments, Uses, stackframe etc (obviously within reason).. The problem is to verify the accuracy of this you need a baseline for comparison, which we don't have as yet until this is all 100% stable.

I think we're reaching a point now where I feel comfortable that we've added enough "new" stuff, so really what I'd like is to leave it alone to stabilize and only release bug-fixes for a while. Then once that is done I will look to generate a full set of new regression tests that verify stack setup, alignments, locals, prologue/epilogue generation, uses etc.. As that is really where the source of all these issues have been.
For the proc related stuff you really want to do it at a binary level comparison wise.. and that is difficult if you don't have something you know to be correct to use for the comparison, so I'm thinking by letting it stabilise we can reach a point "albeit" manually where we're sufficiently satisfied to use what it generates at that point as the baseline for future comparison.

We went through a phase where there were a lot of encoding avx/avx2 and evex encoding fixes but those seem to be settled down now, and we've got a test-suite for them.

nidud

deleted

johnsa

Well specifically for the issues we've been having lately, we need a test case that includes every single combination of proc type, stackbase, win64 setting with procs with a range of parameters, types, uses and locals
and we need to cover things like passing of struct by value, reference, immediates, float literals, string literals and so on.. so I would think we need a PROC test case which has about 100 or so combinations for rsp, rbp, system v (64bit only).
Then we need a totally different set for the vectorcall combinations.. so another 50-100 there.

It would probably take a few days to put it together.. BUT back to my point is that.. apart from hjwasm itself, what can produce the binary output of these combinations to test against ? so the product has to be at a stable point before we can generate the binary for comparison? and even then you'd need to go through each one and hand verify it first to be sure the base is sound.

If someone feels like taking up the challenge to create the test-cases for this  :bgrin:
I will get around to it soon if not.

nidud

deleted

johnsa

I'd certainly like to include any regression tests that are in existence !  :t
I've created a few on my side for some of the new features, but they've all been a bit sporadic to be honest, I'd rather put in the effort and make up a set now, also quite a few cases simply didn't exist before so they need new tests anyway, now is as good a time as any!

nidud

deleted