News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Masm32.lib unicode defines for procedures

Started by fearless, February 20, 2024, 02:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearless

An interesting case has arisen on the tuts4you forum regarding why the masm32.lib doesnt have a wrapper around the unicode versions of functions similar to how all other .inc files seems to, for example AddAtom from kernel32.inc:

AddAtomA PROTO STDCALL :DWORD
IFNDEF __UNICODE__
  AddAtom equ <AddAtomA>
ENDIF

AddAtomW PROTO STDCALL :DWORD
IFDEF __UNICODE__
  AddAtom equ <AddAtomW>
ENDIF

It seems some the Unicode/Wide versions of masm32.lib functions are appended with 'W' as seems appropriate, but the Ansi versions are not appended with 'A', thus even if we do follow a similar way of defining the unicode version using IFDEF IFNDEF etc it should look like this (taking GetAppPath as an example):

GetAppPath PROTO STDCALL :DWORD
IFNDEF __UNICODE__
  GetAppPath equ <GetAppPath>
ENDIF

GetAppPathW PROTO STDCALL :DWORD
IFDEF __UNICODE__
  GetAppPath equ <GetAppPathW>
ENDIF

But when using the __UNICODE__ EQU 1 define, that will cause an error: A2005: symbol redefinition : GetAppPath as the GetAppPath is already the Ansi version and so we cant use that name to redirect to the Unicode/Wide version.

I guess changing the Ansi function versions so that they do have the appended 'A' and recompiling will allow us to properly define in the masm32.inc as follows:

GetAppPathA PROTO STDCALL :DWORD
IFNDEF __UNICODE__
  GetAppPath equ <GetAppPathA>
ENDIF

GetAppPathW PROTO STDCALL :DWORD
IFDEF __UNICODE__
  GetAppPath equ <GetAppPathW>
ENDIF

And thus code calling GetAppPath will properly direct to whichever version it should use: GetAppPathA or GetAppPathW

jj2007

Interesting :rolleyes:

Here is a testbed:

; __UNICODE__ EQU 1
include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc
.data?
buffer db MAX_PATH dup(?)
.code
start:
  ifdef __UNICODE__
    invoke GetAppPathW        ; no second arg addr buffer
    invoke MessageBoxW, 0, eax, chr$("Where's da problem?"), MB_OK
  else
    invoke GetAppPath, addr buffer
    invoke MessageBox, 0, addr buffer, chr$("Where's da problem?"), MB_OK
  endif
  exit
end start

Note the inconsistency of requested arguments. I've never used the __UNICODE__ EQU 1 equate. In most of my sources, I need both the Ansi (90%) and the Unicode (10%) versions, and that equate is incompatible with that mixture. Instead, I use Print and wPrint as needed.