News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

db string limit

Started by alCoPaUL, April 27, 2024, 02:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

Quote from: alCoPaUL on May 07, 2024, 10:57:05 AMgood thing that from windows 2000 to current, you can adjust the width of the console window to 214 characters or more to display the 32/64 bit masm32, tasm32 and masm64 quines properly and elegantly. but for the 16-bit, you have to have the edit.com as the "output console" coz real mode DOS console can just display 80 characters (or a little more) but the redirected output to >> file16bit.asm.txt can be reassembled and linked with no problems..
Some video cards have a 132-column VESA text mode (132x60 if you're lucky). Real DOS only, of course.
Quote from: WikipediaModes 264–268 are text modes. 264 (0108h) is 80 columns × 60 rows (80×60), 265 (0109h) is 132×25, 266 (010Ah) is 132×43, 267 (010Bh) is 132×50 and 268 (010Ch) is 132×60

daydreamer

You have richedit control is big exception to 260 chars in edit control
Can hold whole novel
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

NoCforMe

Quote from: sudoku on May 07, 2024, 11:02:29 AMMe: "What the hell is a 'quine'"? ...
I had no idea either.
QuoteI had to look it up, as I did not know.  :smiley:
So, now that I know...
What is it good for, alCoPaUL?
I'm not the OP, but I'll answer anyhow:
It's what my dear old dad would have called "mental masturbation". IOW, one of those things that makes you feel good but is useless.
A programming game.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

alCoPaUL

Quote from: NoCforMe on May 07, 2024, 04:28:16 PM
Quote from: sudoku on May 07, 2024, 11:02:29 AMMe: "What the hell is a 'quine'"? ...
I had no idea either.
QuoteI had to look it up, as I did not know.  :smiley:
So, now that I know...
What is it good for, alCoPaUL?
I'm not the OP, but I'll answer anyhow:
It's what my dear old dad would have called "mental masturbation". IOW, one of those things that makes you feel good but is useless.
A programming game.

if no one did it before since x86 chips were invented and improved, it's called "stroking your e-peenus"..

but yo, https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rdriley/487/papers/Thompson_1984_ReflectionsonTrustingTrust.pdf

ken thompson and the bell lab guises wrote C quines in their past times..

and yes, that's ken thompson and the old school bell lab guises..

and you can scour the assembly language quines written before..

only 16 bit....

but what is it good for?

say your program can output its own source code and reassemble itself coz your program can custom translate the source into opcode or is piggybacking the whole assembler/linker after your program modified itself at the source code level by string formatting..

and i see people here posting their own versions of notepad.exe written in assembly language..

NoCforMe

Welll, I do hope you have fun with it. Nothin' wrong with that.

Notepad written in assembly languge? My editor (EdAsm, described somewhere on this site) is a damn sight better than Notepad and written in asm. JJ's MasmBasic, which goes far beyond Notepad (it's actually a whole IDE) similarly written.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

sudoku

Since we're on the subject of editors, my editors are modeled after the functionality of qeditor. Period.  :cool:
Just plain ole ascii text.
:azn: