News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

File-finder program: works, but ...

Started by NoCforMe, July 14, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Quote from: NoCforMe on July 15, 2022, 02:53:00 PMhow 'bout if the current folder field was an edit control so you could type the path in directly instead of having to use the Select Folder dialog?

Good idea :thumbsup:

I hate these "browse to folder" buttons everywhere. Most of the time I have the path already on the clipboard...

NoCforMe

Latest version w/edit field for folder attached.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

InfiniteLoop

Quote from: NoCforMe on July 14, 2022, 01:29:30 PM
Windows 7 with many many problems.
What weird file system stuff? Well, for one thing, I discovered that FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() will give me what are basically bogus files whose names are ':'.

Did you try searching for "*Name*" or "filename:Name" ? Windows Search works perfectly.

Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made.
Windows 11 has the singular benefit of hardware GPU scheduling while providing a long growing list of serious problems. Its trash.

NTFS is weird and bloated. The "." and ".." files and the sequence of slashes and ?'s for volumes or drives is needlessly complicated.

NoCforMe

What do you mean by "Windows Search"? Using Explorer to find files? or something programmatic?

My Explorer is just plain busted. Won't find a goddamn thing. One of the many problems with my OS. (Not blaming Windows 7 for this, just my particular installation which is screwed up.)

Not sure if finding those files whose name is ":", literally, is normal behavior or not. I've certainly never seen anything documented on this.

Windows 7 still gives you "." and "..". That's a feature of the file system that'll probably be with us forever.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

zedd151

I was looking for a procedure in some of my old code and your "FindIt!" program came in real handy. I only had the executable so I used olly to set the drive letter to E:  :cool:  . I see that in more recent post you posted the source as well.  :rolleyes:  Would have been handy at the time.
Anyway, your program worked like a charm. Sifted through thousands of files and found what I needed (and in a lot more files than I thought even had with it in it) . You should continue development with this nice little utility.
Not sure how the speed compare with similar tools, as I don't have any other.

Only thing I noticed lacking of course is the (starting) Path selection. Works fine as-is if you want to start from the C: drive though.

While playing with this program, I found an ancient version of TicTacToe that I thought had been discarded. The code is almost illegible junk after all these years but the graphics are better than my present TicTacToe project so I'll swipe them and insert into the present version.  :biggrin: