News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Looking for App Ideas

Started by Don57, June 26, 2012, 02:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don57

I just spent 7 months coding a website in PHP, what an annoying language. Anyways now that I have some time, I wanted to write an app in assembler to put on the site, but I am fresh out of ideas. I would like to write something that is need and useful. I was thinking of a high speed file splitter, but with 32GB USB sticks available, it seems rather superfluous. So I was hopeing the forum members had some ideas.

K_F

That would be useful as downloads (especially games and patches) are so large, and not everyone has high speed reliable networks.
A website could split the file into smaller portions and the user could join them up when all downloaded.
I suppose this is already available, but if you get this app as the standard splitter/joiner, it could go far, and as you already have PHP experience, you're one ahead of the 'pack'
:t
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

mywan

I could appreciate a duplicate file finder, one that can recognize duplicate pics even when their name and size has been changed. I used to have a really nice and fast one written in assembly but somehow lost track of it. Hard to find much but dog slow bloatware full of ads and 'extra' installs to replace it.

Of course this is not a solicitation to provide it  :bgrin:

hutch--

Funny enough a file splitter is not entirely out of date, when I rebuilt the forum I had to evaluate a 2.2 gigabyte SQL database and the only way to make it loadable was to split it into chunks that I could get into an editor, in this instance 100 meg slices. rather than download one they are in fact easy enough to write so I pelted together a crude version that did the job fine. Using standard file IO they are easy enough to do, both in the splitting and rejoining, about all ypou would need to do is have a naming technique so that the rejoiner could find all of the parts to join up again.

raymond

This file splitter reminds me of the "good old days" when the only external storage was still the 1.44 Mb 3.5" disk. I had then written a small program to split larger files into proper chunks to save them and later rejoining them on some other computer.

Not much use for that program anymore with the availability of USB drives soon to exceed 100Gb. ::) ::) ::)
Whenever you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

Magnum

I still prefer platter drives.

They last much longer.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org