Author Topic: The masm32 forum. The place for 10% or less asm topics.  (Read 590 times)

quarantined

The masm32 forum. The place for 10% or less asm topics.
« on: April 27, 2022, 06:43:50 AM »
<GripeSession>
It is very apparent that for quite some time that topics/posts having to do with actual x86/64 asm coding has been very sparse. I will leave out the gripes about jwasm, uasm, lasm, and ‘other’asm derivatives - shouldn’t really be here imo.
Does anyone here actually code in assembler anymore? Or just not posting it in favor of debating about things happening in countries that more than likely YOU HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO. I am perplexed by the current situation here which has been this way for as long as I can remember.

In the good old days non-asm related topics/posts were maybe 10% or less. Now seems asm coding is the lowest thing on the totem pole.

Kind of a huge turn-off for those who may have wished to post something here that is suitable for a forum of this type. I’ll crawl back under my rock now.
</GripeSession>

btw Johnny Depp? Linux? Oh cmon now…

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
Re: The masm32 forum. The place for 10% or less asm topics.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 07:52:16 AM »
Who prevents you from starting a good programming thread in asm?
The logic of the error is hidden among the most unexpected lines of the program

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 09:09:21 AM »
quarantined is right, I wrote my first piece of MASM in the middle of the night last night after finishing a 120 module library and documentation for the basic dialect that I use at times. RE : the miseries in Ukraine, it gets pelted at you from every direction, internet, local media and so on and you can get tired of much of the bullsh*t that is being peddled at the moment.

I wish both sides would get it over and done with, beat each other to death, turn off/on the gas, create more/less sanctions and try an not start a nuclear war.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 09:38:03 AM »
Part of the problem is that there are too many competing packages nowadays, so attempts at coding often fail, as HSE experienced here today (probably my fault).

Once upon a time we all used the same identical Masm32 SDK, and our sources worked identically on all Windows machines. That has changed... I try my best to keep my own package compatible with the Masm32 SDK, with Uasm and AsmC, but it's not an easy job. AsmC, for example, is a Masm clone on paper, but only if you use dedicated options. UAsm behaves better, the default options make it ML.exe compatible. Both WatCom assemblers have myriads of options changing their behaviour - I hope that at least the authors still have the control.

It is not yet as bad as in the C/C++ world, though, where you can't convince Visual Studio to "convert" code that was created more than a couple of years ago in VS; and we are not yet at the point, as in FreeBasic, where 90% of forum messages deal with compile errors due to the use of half a dozen different "toolchains". But I guess one reason for the endless non-programming threads is that people are tired of fighting with problems related to the diversity of tools.

daydreamer

• my kind of REAL10 Blonde
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »
I agree with hutch
I don't want make war game anymore since the war
I wish for peace

my none asm creations
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding