General > Hardware Corner

Recreational spending, a 14 core E5-2697v3 Xeon

(1/1)

hutch--:
Apart from writing more code, the supply chain delays have been slowly driving me NUTZ and as I am waiting on a new can that may end up here early in June, I still have a complete computer parked in bits all over my work table with a 12 core Xeon in it. Earlier this year I warmed over my old monster with a Xeon E5-2697v3 and 64 gig of memory and its a ton of fun, pleasant enough to use for general purpose computing but really has the hoot with multi-thread code and you can thrash the guts out of it for hours with it running at about 50c.

The new one, waiting for the can is A Huananzhi x99 board that is identical to the first one I built which is now my Apache server. This allowed me to retire a Linux box and an even older XP box. I had a 2400 dpi flatbed scanner and a digital microscope plugged into the XP that I have shifted to the old monster and I have enough disk storage not to need the very old Linux box so the older box I now have running is a warmed over 6 year old box.

Sooner or later I will have to build a modern faster box but the longer I wait, the faster they will get so I am in no hurry to leave the x99 CPUs behind. The retired XP box is one I built years ago but almost never got used as I built a 64 bit box shortly after to run Win7 64. Its like new and had no junk in it.

hutch--:
It arrived today, just in time to plonk into the board. New can turned up yesterday and while its a pain to configure, looks OK and I can probably put enough bits into it. The price is falling out of Xeon's from China, this one was $100 cheaper than the last E5-2697v3 and the one I already have running is a genuine monster running all 14 cores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version