Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Read two keys pressed at the same time from port 0x60

Started by popcalent, June 09, 2022, 11:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcalent

Hello,

Does anyone know how to read two keys at the same time from port 0x60? For instance, how do I know if I'm pressing the right arrow and the up arrow at the same time? How do I know if I'm releasing them at the same time? Do I AND or OR the scan codes? Thanks!

_japheth

Quote from: popcalent on June 09, 2022, 11:03:15 AM
Does anyone know how to read two keys at the same time from port 0x60? For instance, how do I know if I'm pressing the right arrow and the up arrow at the same time? How do I know if I'm releasing them at the same time? Do I AND or OR the scan codes? Thanks!

Hmm, your question reveals a certain ignorance about how the (PS/2?) keyboard works. Are you sure you are fit for such low-level things?

From port 0x60 you will never get the status of multiple keys in one byte, "usually" you get at least one "message" when a key is pressed and another one when it is released ( ignoring the "repetition" msgs for now )

Here's a starting point: https://wiki.osdev.org/PS/2_Keyboard
Dummheit, gepaart mit Dreistigkeit - eine furchtbare Macht.

avcaballero

Maybe this may help you

http://abreojosensamblador.epizy.com/?Tarea=1&SubTarea=9#Scan

popcalent

Thanks for your response.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a program that scans port 0x60 and when a key is pressed it pushes a code into a stack, and when that key is released it pops the code.

For instance, if I press right, then left, then release right, and then release left, the stack would go:
[][]-->[][R]-->[L][R]-->[][L]-->[][]

It works fine most of the time, but the problem is that if I release both keys at the same time, looks like it won't scan the correct release code, and it doesn't clear the stack. That's what I thought I need a way to tell two keys have been pressed or released at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

avcaballero

As I understand you, you will need one buffer for each one key, not one buffer for all the keys.